[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Undump on RT

jan@swivax.UUCP (Jan Wielemaker) (05/14/89)

Has anyone ported the Unix program undump by Spencer (to transform core
dumps into new executables) to the RT under AIX. Trivial port from the
SUN version seems to fail. Probably special initialisation code (before
main() is called) is needed.

	Looking forward to reactions (preferably via mail) --- Jan

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (05/15/89)

In article <1259@swisun.swivax.UUCP>, jan@swivax.UUCP (Jan Wielemaker) writes:
> Has anyone ported the Unix program undump by Spencer (to transform core
> dumps into new executables) to the RT under AIX. Trivial port from the
> SUN version seems to fail. Probably special initialisation code (before
> main() is called) is needed.

Gee, I think this would be in the "hard problem" category, but don't
know for sure.  I have spent the past few days poking around in
a.out.h et al. pulling linenumber<->symbol value information out
for an execution time profiler program.  Unix System V uses COFF,
AIX uses GPOFF, and Berkeley uses ? (no direct experience).

To really make an executable, you get to deal with fun stuff like
AIX's desire to build a data structure in the data segment called
_main that holds the address of the start of main(), called .main,
(Did you follow that?) as well as other useful numbers.  Of course,
this is only partially covered in the very back of the C manual,
if I remember, or was it the Assembler?  And if you can't figure
out everything from the headers alone, well, you're just SOL.

Good luck!

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck