[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] RT VRM information on operation wanted

dfh@bnrunix.UUCP (David F. Hinnant) (05/22/89)

I don't have an RT (so I don't have access to the manuals) and I am
interested in reading about the Virtual Resource Manager (VRM) on which
AIX resides. What manuals/documentation/etc exist that describe the
theory of operation, technical details, etc? Did IBM present any
technical papers at conferences on VRM?

--

David Hinnant                    UUCP: ...{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti!bnrunix!dfh
Bell Northern Research           (919) 991-8299

sauer@dell.dell.com (Charlie Sauer) (05/23/89)

In article <166@bnrunix.UUCP> dfh@bnrunix.UUCP (David F. Hinnant) writes:
>I don't have an RT (so I don't have access to the manuals) and I am
>interested in reading about the Virtual Resource Manager (VRM) on which
>AIX resides. What manuals/documentation/etc exist that describe the
>theory of operation, technical details, etc? Did IBM present any
>technical papers at conferences on VRM?

I don't believe there were any conference papers.  In addition to the product
manuals, there is

T. G. Lang, M. S. Greenberg and C.H. Sauer, "The Virtual Resource
Manager," IBM RT Personal Computer Technology, IBM SA23-1057 (1986).

(That should be orderable from IBM branch offices and includes articles about
both the hardware and software of the RT as originally released.)  There is
also discussion of the VRM in

L.K. Loucks and C.H. Sauer, "Advanced Interactive Executive (AIX) Operating
System Overview," IBM Systems Journal 26, 4 (1987) pp. 326-345.

Also, there have been articles in various magazines, e.g., in the December 1986
PC Tech Journal, describing the VRM.
--
Charlie Sauer  Dell Computer Corp.     !'s:cs.utexas.edu!dell!sauer
               9505 Arboretum Blvd     @'s:sauer@dell.com