[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Remote printing from an RT...

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (05/13/89)

Here I go again...

I have an RT running AIX 2.2.1.  It's connected via Ethernet to the campus
network, and is being domain nameserved by one of our VAX/VMS systems
running SRI Multinet TCP/IP.  [Thanks to those of you who helped me out on
setting up my Ethernet connection.]

The documentation tells me that I can use the VAX as a printserver.  I have
the RT authorized (on the VAX) for printing. I use the following command on
the RT to (try to) print a file:

	print rp0 -pserver=nodename -pqueue=queuename filename

		nodename  = the VAX
		queuename = a queue on the VAX
		filename  = a file on the RT

I have LPD logging enabled on the VAX, and the log says that the print
request was successfully received.  But the file never comes out on the
specified queue.  I've tried several queues to no avail.

I used prtsvr.inst from /usr/lpp/tcpip/samples to define rp0.  That seems
to have worked okay, since the print request is getting to the VAX.

Is there something else I need to do on the RT?  On the VAX?  Also, is there
a way that I can make the domain nameserving VAX the default destination for
printing?

Thanks for any help.

francis@hslrswi.UUCP (Francis Demierre) (05/15/89)

In article <1672@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
>Here I go again...
>
>I have an RT running AIX 2.2.1.  It's connected via Ethernet to the campus
>network, and is being domain nameserved by one of our VAX/VMS systems

[Some text removed]
>Is there something else I need to do on the RT?  On the VAX?  Also, is there
>a way that I can make the domain nameserving VAX the default destination for
>printing?
>
>Thanks for any help.

You can establish the default printserver in the '/etc/hosts' database with
the 'well known server' entry:

---------------------------------
printserver   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       # Internet address of the default server
                                    # you want to use.
---------------------------------
This also works for 'timeserver' and 'nameserver'.

As far as I remember, the print command takes (if no printer argument is given)
the first printer in the '/etc/qconfig' file. This could be another way of
setting a default.

I'm now at home and not working on our RT, so I will try to answer the rest
on Tuesday when I've access to machine and doc.
ASCOM Hasler AG  (Tlx: 911392 hsw ch   Phn: +41-31 632111 Fax: +41-31 632182)
Francis Demierre      (UUCP: ...!mcvax!cernvax!hslrswi!francis
Dpt 81B2               Phn:  +41-31 633662 and all above numbers
Belpstrasse 23         Unix mail: francis@hslrswi
CH 3000 Bern 14

stuart@io.UUCP (Stuart Freedman {x3262}) (05/24/89)

You should be able to print via a simple "print printername filename"
command if you have the right stanza in /etc/qconfig defining the printer
name (don't forget the -naix argument for talking correctly with a non-AIX
print server).  The stanzas I have are:

foo:
	argname = foo
	friend = TRUE
	device = foodev

foodev:
	backend = /usr/bin/lprbe -statusfile -pserver=hostname -pqueue=printername -naix

This worked fine for me...  (lprbe is the "lpr back end" program for AIX,
which lets it talk the correct UCB protocol, I believe.)
--
Stuart Freedman			Internet:	smf@saffron.lcs.mit.edu
Interleaf, Inc.			UUCP:		stuart@ileaf.com