[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Terminal Emulator Programs for AIX/RT?

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (05/18/89)

Am I missing something?  ATE seems a tad on the backward side for
terminal emulation.  Any recommendations for alternative communications
software?   The line wil be dedicated, so modem twiddling is not
really required.  I'm looking for something that provides
reasonable VT100 emulation, file transfer, etc.   Running in an Xwindow
would be nice.  I'm running AIX 2.2.1 and X11 (2.1) on a model 25.

Has Kermit been ported to the RT?  Is there anything snazzier and just
as cheap?  Thanks for any help....

-John
John Bunda            UT CS Dept.
bunda@cs.utexas.edu   Austin, Texas

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (05/22/89)

In article <5549@cs.utexas.edu> bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) wrote:
>Has Kermit been ported to the RT?  Is there anything snazzier and just
>as cheap?  Thanks for any help....

C-Kermit doesn't need much porting to work under AIX.  I changed
the lock file code so kermit would make locks in both /etc/locks
and /usr/spool/uucp; I thought, at the time, that this was needed
by the mix of applications that were in AIX 2.2.

I also changed system-specific #ifdefs to enable some of the BSD-isms
in AIX.  One change I'd like to see, but haven't fixed on my copy,
is support for 19200 Baud communication.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish@forel.stanford.edu

vlruo02@dutrun.UUCP (Ge van Geldorp) (05/22/89)

In article <2429@Portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>C-Kermit doesn't need much porting to work under AIX.
[some stuff deleted]
>One change I'd like to see, but haven't fixed on my copy,
>is support for 19200 Baud communication.

Just pick up a recent version of C-Kermit. Version 4E(072), dated 24 Jan
1989, does support 19200 baud.

Ge van Geldorp.
(....!uunet!hp4nl!dutrun!vlruo02)

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (05/24/89)

> Has Kermit been ported to the RT?  Is there anything snazzier and just

I've sucessfully used C-kermit 4E(70) on the Model 25 with AIX 1.1 using
the sys3 Make flags. I have not tried it on AIX 2.X yet.

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (05/25/89)

I retrieved Kermit from Columbia (sure wish there was a compressed tar
file there, getting the individual files is so tedious.  Make as
"sys3" compiled clean other than optimization complaining about
the setjmps.

So far, it works like a champ.  I'm running it on an old SGP, and
it slows down a little running in an xterm (-s and -j options on the
xterm are a big improvement), and I had to hack my .Xkeymap to get
the keyboard to work right with vt102 emulation.