[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Reference Material on Unix internals?

usenet@umrisca.isc.umr.edu (usenet) (05/30/89)

Does anyone have any information regarding the internals of the Unix
kernel?  We are running BSD (AOS) 4.3 in IBM Mode on an RT PC.  I am
specifically looking for information on things like the user structure,
process structure, how segments (data, text, stack) are mapped into
memory and how they may be accessed, etc.  Please send E-Mail to the
above address.  Thanks...

Henry

************************************
*   You call this archaeology????  *
************************************

jparnas@arnor.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) (06/02/89)

In article <198@umrisca.isc.umr.edu> henryc@cs.umr.edu (Henry Clark) writes:

>Does anyone have any information regarding the internals of the Unix
>kernel?  We are running BSD (AOS) 4.3 in IBM Mode on an RT PC.  I am
>specifically looking for information on things like the user structure,
>process structure, how segments (data, text, stack) are mapped into
>memory and how they may be accessed, etc.  Please send E-Mail to the
>above address.  Thanks...
>
>Henry
>
>************************************
>*   You call this archaeology????  *

Try reading "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3 BSD Operating System
by Leffler, McKusick, Karels and Quarterman, published by Addison Wesley,
ISBN: 0-201-06196-1, copyright 1989.

| Jacob M. Parnas                      | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com             | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet        \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635|