[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] TCP connections being reset

rob@matrox.UUCP (Robert Keller) (05/18/89)

The problem:
	At unpredictable intervals our IBM-RT resets individual telnet
	TCP connections.

More Detail:
	I am using NCSA telnet software (2.2D) running on an AT class
	machine using a 3C503 ethernet board.  The local internet has
	Vaxes, Suns, the RT, and various 386 unix boxes as hosts,
	and several "terminal" setups as described
	above.  The resetting of the TCP connection happens only when
	logged on to the RT.  Only one telnet session is reset at a time,
	i.e. if several people are logged in with telnet they are not all
	bumped off at once.

specs:	AIX 2.2.1, IBM baseband adapter with thin wire tranceiver,
	Advanced Processor card, ESDI controller, 4-port serial board,
	Advanced Monochrome card, Dos co-processor board, 4Meg memory.

what is happening?   confused,

...rob

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (05/30/89)

In article <304@matrox.UUCP> rob@matrox.UUCP (Robert Keller) writes:

>The problem:
>	At unpredictable intervals our IBM-RT resets individual telnet
>	TCP connections.
 (.....)
>specs:	AIX 2.2.1, (...)

Is it possible, perchance, that the machines you are talking to do not
support keepalive?

I think that AIX 2.2.1 requires that the far end support keepalive.
Also, have you called in to get a recent service level?

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

jim@applix.com (Jim Morton) (06/04/89)

In article <618@scifi.UUCP>, njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) writes:
> In article <304@matrox.UUCP> rob@matrox.UUCP (Robert Keller) writes:
> >The problem:
> >	At unpredictable intervals our IBM-RT resets individual telnet
> >	TCP connections.
> Is it possible, perchance, that the machines you are talking to do not
> support keepalive?
> I think that AIX 2.2.1 requires that the far end support keepalive.
> Also, have you called in to get a recent service level?

Nick hit it right on the head. We changed out socket based DOS application
to support keepalive and bingo - stopped dropping connections! Unfortunately
this is mentioned nowhere in the "Interface Program for TCP/IP" manual...
Thanks, Nick!
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim