[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Differences in latest AOS

heimlich@tove.umd.edu (Steve Heimlich) (06/21/89)

Can someone mail me a list of differences between the September
1988 4.3 release and the latest (December?) ?

Thanks, Steve
heimlich@seine.cs.umd.edu

grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/21/89)

The most important differences are:
	1 - hc2.x now works
	2 - printing on the ibm 3812 no longer works reliably.

usenet@umrisca.isc.umr.edu (usenet) (06/22/89)

1)  HC 2.X doesn't work (at least not the one we have).  This is an
    improvement (:- over HC 1.4 which generated wrong object code.

2)  YP (except for passwd and group) doesn't work.  We know why this is
    so but don't feel like recompiling the entire system (it was compiled
    wrong).

3)  3812 doesn't work reliably (depends on phase of moon).

4)  DBX doesn't work.

Henry
henryc@cs.umr.edu

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (06/23/89)

In article <216@umrisca.isc.umr.edu> henryc@cs.umr.edu (Henry Clark) writes:
>1)  HC 2.X doesn't work (at least not the one we have).  This is an
>    improvement (:- over HC 1.4 which generated wrong object code.

	True...

>2)  YP (except for passwd and group) doesn't work.  We know why this is
>    so but don't feel like recompiling the entire system (it was compiled
>    wrong).

	This is how YP works on any system... The RT 4.3 AOS does not come
	configured for YP but can be with some work. The same thing is true
	for host name recognition. I for one don't want YP compiled into
	my system.

>3)  3812 doesn't work reliably (depends on phase of moon).

	I don't use this so I don't know. I never did like the 3812 printer
anyway. Use a $^%$* laser writer!

>4)  DBX doesn't work.

	Works for me. You may have found some bugs but all in all it works.
DBX is not 100% reliable even when it is working, you may have run into
this.

>Henry
>henryc@cs.umr.edu

					JonnyG.