[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] mkfs

edv-vie@tuvie (EDV Ges.m.b.H.) (06/22/89)

Hi everybody !

I try to generate a filesystem on a minidisk for NEWS.
There are 190000 blocks available and I try to generate
90000 inodes.

mkfs /dev/hd7 190000:90000

If I say less than 32000 inodes, the AIX-system will
do it, but if I say more than 32000 inodes (iE 90000)
I will get 32000 and not one more.

thanks for help
fozzy
EDV GesmbH Vieanna/Europe     USENET:   fozzy@edvvie.at
Tel: (0043) (222) 59907       (8-20 CET)

kurt@ibmarc.uucp (Kurt Shoens) (06/22/89)

In a recent append, edv-vie@tuvie (EDV Ges.m.b.H.) writes...
>If I say less than 32000 inodes, the AIX-system will
>do it, but if I say more than 32000 inodes (iE 90000)
>I will get 32000 and not one more.

AIX/RT limits filesytems to 32000 inodes, alas.  Strangely,
both AIX/370 and AIX/PS-2 do NOT limit you to 32000 inodes/fs.
That is, they have 4-byte inode numbers.

Kurt Shoens, IBM Almaden Research Center, ...!uunet!ibmarc!kurt

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (06/28/89)

In article <710@tuvie> edv-vie@tuvie (EDV Ges.m.b.H.) writes:
 (....)
>I try to generate a filesystem on a minidisk for NEWS.
>There are 190000 blocks available and I try to generate
>90000 inodes.
 (...)
>If I say less than 32000 inodes, the AIX-system will
>do it, but if I say more than 32000 inodes (iE 90000)
>I will get 32000 and not one more.
 (.....)

AIX uses an unsigned short for inode number.  This would limit one to
65,535 inodes (2^16-1) except that, for some reason, mkfs only allows
signed positive inode numbers.  You might think this would allow 32767
(2^15-1) inodes, but mkfs further restricts the number to 32000.  News
B, at least, forces you to use a single file system for news through
its use of hard links, even when you are sure that there will be no
cross posting.  This makes it tough to keep a full feed.

Does anyone know if news C fixes this (I know, I know, wrong
group...)?

Not an official spokesman for IBM, and speaking for myself.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (06/29/89)

Kurt Shoens writes:
>AIX/RT limits filesytems to 32000 inodes, alas.  Strangely,
>both AIX/370 and AIX/PS-2 do NOT limit you to 32000 inodes/fs.
>That is, they have 4-byte inode numbers.

yes, but.

fsck goes nuts if you use inode numbers > 32k.

it's always something.

	peter