[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] help needed: file transfer from IBM PC RT

hfan@duvan.nada.kth.se (Huaan Fan) (07/13/89)

I created several data files on an IBM PC RT. Later on when I transfered
these data files to other computers such as Bondwell PC (using MS DOS)
or a ND-500 computer, the data files turned to a big mess: many lines
become one line. I guess the problem may be due to different RETURN-codes used
by different machines.

Can somebody tell me how to create files on IB PC RT which can be directly
readable on other machines ?

-------------------------------------
Huaan Fan
Department of Geodesy
The Royal Institute of Technology
100 44 Stockholm
SWEDEN
Tel. 46 8 7907342
E-mail.  hfan@elmer.lne.kth.se
	 hfan@duvan.nada.kth.se
Zi-Kui Liu			Tele: 	+ 46 8 7908396(o)
Dept. of Phys. Metall.			+ 46 8 154741(h)
Royal Inst. of Technol.		FAX: 	+ 46 8 100411
10044 Stockholm			E-mail: zikui@matsc.kth.se (personal)
Sweden 					manager@china.se

ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Robert Ehrlich) (07/13/89)

   From: hfan@duvan.nada.kth.se (Huaan Fan)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt
   Date: 13 Jul 89 00:15:34 GMT
   Sender: news@nada.kth.se

   I created several data files on an IBM PC RT. Later on when I transfered
   these data files to other computers such as Bondwell PC (using MS DOS)
   or a ND-500 computer, the data files turned to a big mess: many lines
   become one line. I guess the problem may be due to different RETURN-codes used
   by different machines.

   Can somebody tell me how to create files on IB PC RT which can be directly
   readable on other machines ?

If the files are ascii text you need to specify the '-a' switch to doswrite.
This of course assumes you are running AOS and not AIX.  I would assume that
the AIX equivalent of doswrite would have a similar switch for transfering
ascii files.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/14/89)

From article <EHRLICH.89Jul13090303@shire.cs.psu.edu>, by ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel Robert Ehrlich):
>    Can somebody tell me how to create files on IB PC RT which can be directly
>    readable on other machines ?
> If the files are ascii text you need to specify the '-a' switch to doswrite.
> I would assume that the AIX equivalent of doswrite would have a similar switch
> for transfering ascii files.

Yes, AIX RT 2.2.1 has similar switch, and it *works* the same way. As for binaryfiles - it should be even simplier.

Uri.
My employer doesn't have to share my opinions expressed here or elsewhere.