[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] color graphics adapter in RT

pjw@air12.larc.nasa.gov (Phil Windley) (06/15/89)

I'm giving a demo and would like to project the screen of the computer
using an overhead.  I have a device which connects to a CGA display adapter
for a PC.  My question is this:  Can I use a CGA in my RT?  Do I need to
take the megapel card out?  Do I need to configur the software and if so,
how do I do it?

I don't want to run X, just a plain old vt100 emulation will do fine.

--phil--

--
Phil Windley                          |  windley@iris.ucdavis.edu
Division of Computer Science          |  ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!windley

nghiem@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) (06/23/89)

[Inquiry to attach an RT to a CGA screen projector]

You might try running a vt100 terminal program on a PC with the
CGA card and login the RT via a serial port (tty). You will need
a null modem cable and you will have the set up the RT to spawn a
login on the port you use. I assume that you have serial adapters on
both the RT and the PC. I do not think a CGA card can work in an RT
buss slot.

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (07/22/89)

In article <PJW.89Jun14162239@air12.air12.larc.nasa.gov> pjw@air12.larc.nasa.gov (Phil Windley) writes:
> ...  My question is this:  Can I use a CGA in my RT?

Sort of.

> Do I need to
>take the megapel card out?

I think that the megapel will step out of the way if you turn off CGA
emulation mode.  Look at "Options Installation", one of the red books
that should have come with your RT.

> Do I need to configur the software and if so,
>how do I do it?

You should be able to use the 286 emulator and drive the CGA directly.
But you probably want to use the CGA as an RT console.  You can write
a simple programs to throw characters onto the screen using the
/dev/bus, or you might be able to get the sample cga driver in
/usr/lpp/examples/disp/* working.  I've not tried to do so.  It isn't
a plug and go situation, in any case.

>I don't want to run X, just a plain old vt100 emulation will do fine.

Good luck......

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)