[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] RT Baseband

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/20/89)

I am having a devil of a time and would appreciate any help from
experienced folks -- IBM's customer support ain't what it's cracked
up to be!

I am attempting to set up a network using a single RT and several
PC ATs running X on DOS software, all using ethernet connections.
Following the guideines in the Communications cookbook, I diddled
all the relevant files (at least I THINK I did), and recompiled the
kernel.

One particular problem is that, when attempting to "ping" or otherwise
make network contact with another host that is not on the net, I get
a diagnostic message:

	net0: transmit timeout -- device shutdown        !@#$!@!!!!

This is plain annoying!  After this happens, the easiest thing to do
is reboot! The network is "unreachable" after this!

Also, the XONDOS software seems not to work -- it sets the host
addresses correctly for their Internet address, but thinks that the
local host's ethernet address is 00 00 00 00 00   !!!!

I would love to hear from anyone regarding:

	- TCP/IP services on the RT (running at the same time as X11)

	- X Windows for DOS Software (we're using 3COM boards, all of
	  which work just fine talking on the ether to each other!)

	- Making the above two work together!

An seemingly unrelated but vexing problem is that, upon rebooting (after
a shutdown, of course) the f***ing login: doesn't recognize any login
names (including 'root').  The only thing to do is reboot again, interrupt,
which puts us in maintenance mode, and exit -- strangely, when multi-user
mode is started again, it recognizes my login !!!! hooray! but what is
happening??

Anyone else regret going with AIX??

I'd be happy to be made a fool of if it makes these problems go away!

Thanks for your support!

m sierchio

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Daniel P. Barron) (07/21/89)

In article <12775@well.UUCP> gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) writes:

>I am attempting to set up a network using a single RT and several
>PC ATs running X on DOS software, all using ethernet connections.

>One particular problem is that, when attempting to "ping" or otherwise
>make network contact with another host that is not on the net, I get
>a diagnostic message:

>	net0: transmit timeout -- device shutdown        !@#$!@!!!!

This looks like the same problems we've encountered here dozens of times.
Perhaps this shoudl be a monthly posting :-).  Anyway, it looks like you
forgot to use the devices command to set the memory addresses correctly.
The parameters you want to change are rsa (98000), rea (99fff), brsa (9a000),
and brea (9ffff).  The parens are my values.  The default values are just
plain wrong (typical IBM).  You also need to set the interrupt level to 3
and the frequency to every 18.3ms.  You also need to set the jumpers on the
board properly.  For the above values the settings are as follows...

The interrupt level is right above the edge connector.  Set it to three.

The memory address jumpers are w10 to w13.  Set them to horizontal,
horizontal, vertical, vertical.  Sort of _ _ H H

The interrupt frequency is w14 and should be set at position 2.

I'm sorry I can't be more exact, but the positions are hard to explain.
If you have the red "User Setup Guide and Options Installation book it's
in there under network adapters.  Good luck.

>Also, the XONDOS software seems not to work -- it sets the host
>addresses correctly for their Internet address, but thinks that the
>local host's ethernet address is 00 00 00 00 00   !!!!

Check /etc/rc.tcpip  You need the host command in there and the name used
must match the /etc/net name and the name in the hosttable.  Also, fixing
the jumpers as above might help.

>Anyone else regret going with AIX??

I had no choice (it was free, so we took it) but I think I'd prefer a
"real" Unix.

db

________________________________Daniel Barron__________________________________
______________________________________ ________________________________________
"There are four types of homicide:    | E-mail: barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 felonious, excusable, justifiable    |         barron@wharton.upenn.edu
 and praiseworthy."  --Ambrose Bierce |         barron@dacth01.bitnet
______________________________________|________________________________________

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (07/21/89)

In article <12775@well.UUCP> gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) wrote:
>One particular problem is that, when attempting to "ping" or otherwise
>make network contact with another host that is not on the net, I get
>a diagnostic message:
>
>	net0: transmit timeout -- device shutdown        !@#$!@!!!!
>
>This is plain annoying!  After this happens, the easiest thing to do
>is reboot! The network is "unreachable" after this!

Did you take the sample token ring entry out of /etc/net?
I suppose you know by now, but I doubt that your baseband adapter's
jumpers are the whole problem.  I don't think you'd be able to
talk to the net at all with default settings on both the card and
in the software.

The card comes jumpered to use memory starting at 98000 hex; the default
in /etc/ddi (used by devices) is 80000.

>I would love to hear from anyone regarding:
>
>	- TCP/IP services on the RT (running at the same time as X11)

They get along fine here.  I don't know anything about XONDOS.

>An seemingly unrelated but vexing problem is that, upon rebooting (after
>a shutdown, of course) the f***ing login: doesn't recognize any login
>names (including 'root').  The only thing to do is reboot again, interrupt,
>which puts us in maintenance mode, and exit -- strangely, when multi-user
>mode is started again, it recognizes my login !!!! hooray! but what is
>happening??

What's in your /etc/.init.state file? It should be one character (and a
newline), probably `a' for `automatic multi-user' or `m' for `maintenance'
(single-user mode).  This letter gets passed as an argument to /etc/rc
to determine the run level on boot.  Documented in chapter 3 of the
Operating System Technical Reference (assuming you're running an RT).

>Anyone else regret going with AIX??

Not me.  Our systems are fast and reliable.  The Berkeley stuff that's
been integrated into the system is really a part of it, not a pile
of scabs and patches, and it's true to the way the stuff works on
BSD-based systems (except for symbolic links, but I don't really
want to get into that now... ).

*-*-*-*-*

Things to do to get a network node going:

- Edit /etc/hosts.  You don't need a `localhost' entry for loopback;
  the local system is just another name in the list.

- Edit /etc/hosts.equiv.

- Edit /etc/rc.tcpip (to set the host name at boot time)

- Edit /etc/rc to uncomment the invocation of /etc/rc.tcpip

- Edit /etc/net.  Comment out or remove the token ing entry unless
  you're running token ring.

- Run `devices' to add net0 (driver for the baseband adapter).

- Use the `devices' command to make ptys, some with gettys and some
  without.  If you need more than 16 ptys, bump the value of
  `ptybuffers' in /etc/master and make a new kernel, and edit
  /etc/ddi/pty to make more blank entries for use by devices.  IBM
  people say they're going to provide a batch program to create
  devices; for now, it's all interactive and somewhat tedious.

- To run X on an RT, you need at least 8 megs of memory.
  For running X, there are some resource limits in the
  kernel that should be bumped upward.  The ones I changed were

	ptybuffers  (from 16 to 32)
	charlists (64 to160)
	maxminor (in the `uptc' and `upts' stanzas; 16 to 32)
	procs (in `sysparms'; 60 to 90)
	filetab (250 to 350)
	inodetab (250 to 350)

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish@forel.stanford.edu

brunner@bullhead.uucp (07/24/89)

In article <12775@well.UUCP> gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) writes:
(that he has some questions regarding network setup)

>Anyone else regret going with AIX??

Sergio,

	It wasn't until I got this far in your posting that I realized
that your 6150 and/or 6152 box(es) were running some version of AIX.
As there are two (or more according to recent commentaries) distinct
operating systems which are germaine to this newsgroup, marking which
one would help me not read what I can't fix or comment knowingly upon.
Inserting "AIX" into the keywords or subject line would do the trick.

Thanks, and I don't have an AIX box to play with...
Eric

Eric Brunner
uunet!ibmsupt!brunner