[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Distributed services...

rainwatr@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) (08/03/89)

I have recently acquired Distributed Services for my RT (AIX 2.2.1).  Is
it possible to use this with a non-RT system with TCP/IP, specifically a
VAX/VMS system running SRI Multinet TCP/IP software?  If so, can someone
send a description of how this would be done?

The docs for DS say that you must have the node-ID of the system to
which you're talking, but there is no equivalent of uname -m on VMS
(as far as I can tell).

--
Don Rainwater, Univ. of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) (08/04/89)

Sorry, but Distributed Services only works between AIX systems.  To
interoperate with machines from other vendors you will need to use
NFS, which is available for AIX as well.

DS provides some significant advantages over NFS ... improved security,
file-over-file mounts, full UNIX filesystem semantics, etc.

I'm not an official spokesman, so ignore anything I say.  :-)

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

gregn@cadovax.UUCP (Greg Noel) (08/08/89)

In article <981@ks.UUCP> drake@ibmarc.UUCP (Sam Drake) writes:

>DS provides some significant advantages over NFS ... improved security,
>file-over-file mounts, full UNIX filesystem semantics, etc.
>
>I'm not an official spokesman, so ignore anything I say.  :-)

>Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

DS provides some significant disadvantages over NFS ... impossible user
interface, incredibly poor performance ( 100 Kbs best case), process load
instability, version incompatability.

When is DS over IP going to be out?

--
Greg Noel [Gn]  Versyss Inc, Torrance, Ca
"Nothing works, and nobody cares" -Woody Allen

"Body for man, mind for Buddha"  -anon. thai prositute