[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] the real 801 machine! finally.

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/11/89)

a few questions if you please... ??

can anyone hazard a guess as to the price of the forthcoming
801 supermips risc machine from Blue?

what is the price of a monochrome 70 with AIX?

what is the current IBM employee discount?  is it machine-dependent?

how much do used old style superslow RTs go for?

i'd prefer to buy IBM instead of a clone 386 machine...
but i don't want to pay $10k for an old model slug RompT/PC.

thanks for the time, folks!

no flaming or Big Blue will piss-test the lot of you!
--
 ...... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);(6178591389);(6178906844) {}
/* */

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/11/89)

In article <4171@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>can anyone hazard a guess as to the price of the forthcoming
>801 supermips risc machine from Blue?

What machine is that?  :-)  The trade papers this week are alluding to
an entry price of about $10K for whatever machine they think they're
talking about.  I have no idea how realistic that is, since I know
nothing whatsoever about the machine other than the rumors I read about.
Of course, I'd say that regardless. :-)

>what is the price of a monochrome 70 with AIX?

You might as well get a color VGA display, although I highly recommend
the 8514 monitor+adapter.  256 color X11 is great stuff.  I think a VGA
display is just too small to run X, although I've seen it done (on the
6152 RT/Model 60).

Model 70's come in 16mhz, 20mhz and 25mhz versions.  I've had a lot of
experience with the 20mhz machine.  It's not bad, though 120mb of
disk gets small pretty fast if you're doing anything serious.  I don't
know what the current list price is, but I think you can find discounting
retailers, much to IBM's dismay.

AIX for the PS/2 is pretty good stuff.  If BSD is "Catholicism" and
System V is "Protestantism", then going to AIX PS/2 from BSD is like
a Catholic attending a high church Episcopal Mass... :-)

>what is the current IBM employee discount?  is it machine-dependent?

I have never known any IBM employees who could get discounts for
anything but the PC or PS/2 lines.  The RT family was never on the
schedule (so they claimed--this is all 2nd hand.)

>how much do used old style superslow RTs go for?
>i'd prefer to buy IBM instead of a clone 386 machine...
>but i don't want to pay $10k for an old model slug RompT/PC.

I answered an ad placed here advertising an old RT model 20 for $2500.
This is far, far below typical market value.  I don't know where you
could look for used RT's.  Anyone have any ideas?

You know, the "superslow" ROMP was still about twice as fast as the
Vaxstation 2000, which is molasses by today's standards, but was pretty
impressive just a few years ago.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

 (Steve Dyer) writes:
>(Steve Elias) writes:
>>can anyone hazard a guess as to the price of the forthcoming
>>801 supermips risc machine from Blue?
>
>What machine is that?  :-)  The trade papers this week are alluding to

wink wink nudge nudge!  i can't wait for this machine.
i found 3 bugs in the logical design for the 801 processor
when i worked for Blue.
it was a great job and IBM is a great company, though they
have a few questionable corporate policies now and then...
[please pardon the tooting my own horn.  Vermont is great, as is IBM!.
 almost as nice as California!]

>>what is the price of a monochrome 70 with AIX?
>
>You might as well get a color VGA display, although I highly recommend

i'm color blind.  i really don't like color screens.  they never look
as good as mono screen for text.  but greyscale VGA would be ok...

>AIX for the PS/2 is pretty good stuff.  If BSD is "Catholicism" and
>System V is "Protestantism", then going to AIX PS/2 from BSD is like
>a Catholic attending a high church Episcopal Mass... :-)

oh ho!  time for penance.

>>how much do used old style superslow RTs go for?
>
>You know, the "superslow" ROMP was still about twice as fast as the
>Vaxstation 2000, which is molasses by today's standards, but was pretty
>impressive a few years ago.

hey -- i liked what Blue did with the ROMP chip and the RT.

the RT was supposed to contain an 801 processor, not a ROMP chip.
i won't mention some of the possible reasons ROMP/RT was released instead.

although...

maybe i didn't do a good enough job on that 801 design verification project!
[just kidding.  i was a tiny gear in a really suave, enormous company.]