[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] IBM RT Console: Great Kbd!!!

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (08/12/89)

I would like to praise IBM's keyboard and console display for
the RT/PC. The screen has nice, big, characters which
are very easy to read. The keyboard is the *best* keyboard
I have ever used on a computer!!! It has perfect, soft, tactile
feedback, the slope is right, and it's easy to reprogram any
of the keys, especially function keys, which makes working
with some programs much easier. I hope someone at IBM is
reading this, I want them to make more keyboards like
this! It's much better than the loud, klunky keyboard
attached to the PS2, even though it's still a decent
keyboard.

Let me see if I can find out the model number or something,
so that IBM will know exactly what I'm talking about. Aha,
hope this helps: the environment variable TERM says
I've got an 'ibm6155', and, looking in /etc/termcap,
it's called "Extended Monochrome Graphics Display" [the RT
is running 4.3bsd].

Finally, I want to mail this directly to IBM, but don't
know what the email address is. Anyone know?

PLEASE EMAIL all responses, I don't know if I'll become
a regular reader of this NG.

-- Ari Halberstadt '91, "Long live succinct signatures"
E-mail: ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu	Tel: (603) 640-5687
Disclaimer: "Live Free or Die"

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/12/89)

In article <14991@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>I would like to praise IBM's keyboard and console display for
>the RT/PC.  The keyboard is the *best* keyboard
>I have ever used on a computer!!! It has perfect, soft, tactile
>feedback, the slope is right, and it's easy to reprogram any
>of the keys, especially function keys, which makes working
>with some programs much easier.

First, I agree with everything you say.  The original RT keyboard
(what I'm using right now) had a wonderful feel and touch.  Unfortunately,
the latest RTs are being shipped with the PS/2 keyboards.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (08/13/89)

In article <14991@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
> I would like to praise IBM's keyboard and console display for
> the RT/PC. The keyboard is the *best* keyboard
> I have ever used on a computer!!! It has perfect, soft, tactile ...

I agree. Unfortunately, I believe RT's shipped since the first of the
year or so have the PS/2 style "click-clack" keyboard instead of the
original RT "soft thump" keyboard. I only have the older style - someone
else want to comment on this?
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com

hpm@cbnews.ATT.COM (hamir.malia) (08/16/89)

In article <14991@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>I would like to praise IBM's keyboard and console display for

It is really nice to see a posting like this once in a while
(especially from a non-IBMer ;-) ) after reading the zillions
of articles that indulge in unabashed IBM-bashing.

I would like to second the opinion of Ari Halberstadt on the
issue of the RT keyboard.  It is truly well designed and the
'tactile feel' is unmatched.

While on the topic, I would also like to comment on the entire
"workstation look-and-feel" that is part and package of the AIX-RT
and AIX-PS2 systems.  The High Function Terminal that offers multiple
virtual screens in a screen-ring and the possiblity of running
X-Windows and DOS on each of these, makes the 'uncluttered-desk'
need of many workstation users an affordable reality.  Moreover,
the possibilty of customizing each of these virtual terminals using
commands like "keyboard", "mouse", "display", etc. offers a
vast range of possibilities that would cover the requirements gamut
of the most picky of workstation users.

Hamir Malia

Standard Disclaimer:
                                 strictly
The opinions expressed above are / my own and not my employers' (Obviously!)

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (08/16/89)

In article <9018@cbnews.ATT.COM>, hpm@cbnews.ATT.COM (hamir.malia) writes:
> In article <14991@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu writes:
> ...  The High Function Terminal that offers multiple
> virtual screens in a screen-ring and the possiblity of running
> X-Windows and DOS on each of these, makes the 'uncluttered-desk'

The problem with the "open" command for HFT virtual consoles is that you
have to explicitly open them before you need them. It would be nice if
they changed this so you had a few waiting for you when you need them, like
when your program on the original HFT is hung. Like in SCO Xenix -- where
if you need another virtual terminal you just hit the next Fnn function
key and you get another login session...