[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Korn shell for AIX

windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) (08/01/89)

Does anyone have the source for the korn shell.  I once got apointer to a
machine at U of Toronto, but they had a file on it with a nasty message
about how they're not in the business of distributing software and to get
lost.  (I hope they never want anything from me ;-).

--
Phil Windley                          |  windley@iris.ucdavis.edu
Division of Computer Science          |  ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!windley

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (08/01/89)

Perhaps it does bear repeating, but this question does come up MONTHLY!

The Korn Shell is not a public domain item (alas!).  If Informed folks
would care to repost where it is available from, please do

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl) (08/12/89)

In article <WINDLEY.89Jul31210034@Self.cheetah.ucdavis.edu>, windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) writes:

> Does anyone have the source for the korn shell.  I once got apointer to a
> machine at U of Toronto, but they had a file on it with a nasty message
> about how they're not in the business of distributing software and to get
> lost.  (I hope they never want anything from me ;-).

Ksh-i (international version) is available from:
AT&T Unix Europe
International House
Ealing Broadway
LONDON W5 5DB, England
Telephone: 01-567 7711
FAX: 01-567 2420
TELEX: 914054 UNIXTM G

The source licence is $3000 (Phew ...)
I hope the adress and phone numbers are correct, 'cause they date back to
a March '88 Catalog. Just ask for the Unix System Toolchest description.

I ported ksh to AIX 2.2.1 for a friend of mine. No Problems. You can get a
SYSV version of ksh up and running with a few makefile corrections and a
cup of coffee during compile.
I tried to compile it on AIX/PS2 1.1, telling make that I have a BSD system, just to get job control. It seemed to run, but had bugs when forking a subprocess. Up to now I did not track down the problem. Telling make to compile for SYSV
did not hel either.
       EDV Ges.m.b.H Vienna              Johann Schweigl
       Hofmuehlgasse 3 - 5               USENET: johnny@edvvie.at
       A-1060 Vienna, Austria      Tel: (0043) (222) 59907 257 (8-19 CET)

In the USA the $3000 source license is a site license. That makes it a bargain
for a university or company.