[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] TeX and NFS

windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) (08/16/89)

Has anyone noticed that IBM's TeX and Metafont don't seemed to get along
with NFS.  I recently tried to put my metafont source files on a remotely
mounted directory and MF couldn't find them.  I've also noticed that I
can't TeX a files that is remotely mounted.  Does anyone know why?  Is
there a PTF for this (he hopes ;-).  It is really annoying.

--
Phil Windley                          |  windley@iris.ucdavis.edu
Division of Computer Science          |  ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!windley

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (08/17/89)

In article <WINDLEY.89Aug16084617@Self.cheetah.ucdavis.edu>, windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) writes:

> with NFS.  I recently tried to put my metafont source files on a remotely
> mounted directory and MF couldn't find them.  I've also noticed that I
> can't TeX a files that is remotely mounted.  Does anyone know why?

The reason for this that I have heard is that the TeX implementation uses
mapped files, i.e. the file is treated directly as memory pages (reduces
time for loading - the I/O is done on demand).  Unfortunately, this
requires these files to exist in a native fs.

-John

John Bunda                         METRIC Project
Voice: (512) 471-9710              UT Austin CS Dept.
Internet: bunda@cs.utexas.edu      Austin, Texas 78712

marcel@duteca (Marcel Mol) (08/19/89)

From article <WINDLEY.89Aug16084617@Self.cheetah.ucdavis.edu>, by windley@cheetah.ucdavis.edu (Phil Windley/20000000):

> Has anyone noticed that IBM's TeX and Metafont don't seemed to get along
> with NFS.  I recently tried to put my metafont source files on a remotely
> mounted directory and MF couldn't find them.  I've also noticed that I
> can't TeX a files that is remotely mounted.  Does anyone know why?  Is
> there a PTF for this (he hopes ;-).  It is really annoying.

The same problem occurs with distributed services. We reported the problem
to IBM more than a year ago. I has something to do with 'mapped files'.
We haven't heard anything about it since then. Some user up here
managed to get source code for tex and compiled it. This tex does work
on NFS.

-Marcel

# Marcel J.E. Mol                       # They hate you if your're clever
# Delft, University of Technology       # And they despise the fool
# The Netherlands                       # Till you're so fucking crazy
# UUCP: marcel@duteca.tudelft.nl        # You can't follow the rules.
#       duteca!marcel                  	#