[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Use the whole screen on color monitor for AIX/X windows?

andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Purshottam) (08/29/89)

Anyone know how to get X windows to use all of the
surface area of the PC/RT color monitor?

Thanks,
	Andy

drake@sd2.almaden.ibm.com (Sam Drake) (08/31/89)

> Anyone know how to get X windows to use all of the
> surface area of the PC/RT color monitor?

You don't say which monitor you're using...I assume you are using the
Megapel adapter with the IBM 5081 display rather than the 5154 display.

The Megapel adapter supports a 1024x1024 display field.  The 5081 monitor
has square pixels, and is wider than it is tall.  So there is some
unused glass surface on the 5081 display.

There is a card from another vendor, the matrox PG-1281, which can be used
in the RT as a replacement for the Megapel card.  This card supports
1280x1024.  There is an RPQ (non-standard hardware upgrade) that allows the
5081 display to run in 1280x1024 mode, and a PRPQ (non-standard programming
support) that allows AIX/RT to drive all of the above.  Talk to your
IBM marketing folks for details.

I am not an official spokesman, nothing I say is correct.  :-)

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

root@johnbob.uucp (/4194303) (08/31/89)

In article <16639@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Andrew Purshottam) writes:
>Anyone know how to get X windows to use all of the
>surface area of the PC/RT color monitor?
If you are using a mpel adapter then X can't do anything about it.  The
megapel adapter doesn't fill the monitor...

..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!johnbob.austin.ibm.com!root
							    !john
John Harvey						    !johnbob
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.
Please forgive my employers.  They know not what I do.

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) (08/31/89)

In a recent append, andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Andrew Purshottam) writes...
>Anyone know how to get X windows to use all of the
>surface area of the PC/RT color monitor?

If you mean the 5081 Display, it's actually capable of 1280x1024, but the
Megapel adapter is only set for 1024x1024.  You can get a Matrox adapter and
an IBM RPQ to drive it at 1280x1024.

Opinions are strictly my own,
Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
BITNET: GRIEFER at ALMADEN              Internet: griefer@ibm.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!griefer