[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Distribution Software for the RT

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) (08/30/89)

I have a client who is contemplating buying an RT to run a wholesale
distribution/ manufacturer's rep. business.  The problem is that they are
not totally satisfied with the software they have seen to date.

Does anybody out there have any experience with, or know any good or bad
things about any wholesale distribution software?  I'd really appreciate
hearing any comments good and bad, and if anybody has any real success
stories I would really like to hear from you.

Please followup via email.  If I get enough responses, I'll summarize them
here.

Thanks!

Tom

--
Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (08/31/89)

In article <6695@stiatl.UUCP>, tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) writes:
> I have a client who is contemplating buying an RT to run a wholesale
> distribution/ manufacturer's rep. business.  The problem is that they are
> not totally satisfied with the software they have seen to date.
> --
> Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
> gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.

I understand you are trying to look for better software, but why, oh why,
are you allowing your client to pick the machine first, then look for
software?  That is one of the classic mistakes in computing.

Unless they already have an RT, you should be looking for the best
package that runs on any machine in that class.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) (09/02/89)

In article <447@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>>In article <6695@stiatl.UUCP>, tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) writes:
>>> I have a client who is contemplating buying an RT to run a wholesale
>>> distribution/ manufacturer's rep. business.  The problem is that they are
>>> not totally satisfied with the software they have seen to date.
>>
>>Unless they already have an RT, you should be looking for the best
>>package that runs on any machine in that class.

Normally, I agree with you.  However, this client is only interested in
IBM hardware, and I am not under any circumstances going to propose an
AS/400 to them (for reasons I can't go into here).  In the mid-range,
this pretty much limits me to the RT.

I don't like the idea too much, but these are the parameters with which
I have to contend.

Tom