[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Terminals and RS232 , rs442 for RT, AT bus.~r;~

logex@altger.UUCP (logex) (09/16/89)

Hi netlanders:

I am working with a set of 3 IBM RT sytems, of the
'tower' model, and 3 of the desktop model, i dont have
then model numbers at hand but, all of them are under
IBM AIX operating system.

I want to connect some terminals to each cpu, but i have
seen that the machines have a board that show several
weird (very) connectors a the bac side of the chassis.

I want to know if every model of RT, regarding if
its tower or desktop type, has an AT compatible slot
inside (how many ?) , and if so,  i suppose i can
plug any Rs232 multiport card inside the RT, i am
right ?

What i need is to connect serial devices to the RT's.

but seems the connectors used are no standard DB-25 type.

Any help would be appreciated.

		Ed.
		logex@altger.uucp
		logex@tchh.uucp
		logex@chinet.uucp

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (09/17/89)

In article <1842@altger.UUCP> logex@altger.UUCP (logex) wrote:
>I want to connect some terminals to each [RT], but i have
>seen that the machines have a board that show several
>weird (very) connectors a the bac side of the chassis.

>I want to know if every model of RT, regarding if
>its tower or desktop type, has an AT compatible slot
>inside (how many ?) ,

Both types have AT slots.  The 6150 (tower) has eight; I think the 6151
(desktop) has 5.  The disk controller uses one of the slots.

>and if so,  i suppose i can
>plug any Rs232 multiport card inside the RT, i am
>right ?

Sure.

>What i need is to connect serial devices to the RT's.
>but seems the connectors used are no standard DB-25 type.

The connectors are available from AMP.  The pinouts are there in the
hardware documentation.  IBM sells cables, with a DB25 on one end
and the special 10-pin connector on the other.  You may wish to
get some of these cables even if you get a third-party acync
card, to make use of the two ports already present on your
6150's system board.

AT serial/parallel adapters work fine in the RT, and are supported
by the standard drivers under both AIX and 4.3.  Of course, that
card uses a DB9 connector for the serial port, not a DB25.  I've
set up IBM dot matrix printers on the parallel ports under both
operating systems.  They work with absolutely no fuss, just plug
and print.

If you buy a 4-port RS232 card from IBM, make sure you get a buffered
one.  Look at the part numbers on the four big chip packages on the card.
You want the 16550 UARTs, not the 16450s.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	(415) 493-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu