[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] rlogin gets confused.

peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel) (09/14/89)

Hi,
    First, this is a 6150-135 running AIX 2.2.1 with a baseband adapter
and appropriate VRM driver installed. The network works when I rlogin out
of the machine and FTP out of the machine, but I have encountered some
problems trying to use the network into the machine. Specifically rlogin
and ftp.

1. rlogin -- Coming from a VAX running BSD4.3, the terminal information
seems to get hosed. All my pts's are defined as VT100, the BSD csh has
the TERM=vt100, and the appropriate termcap=. When I rlogin to the RT and
try to use vi, I get 'Don't know enough about your terminal'. I have tried
setenv TERM, and I know I configured the pts terminal type right. Telnet
into the machine set's everything up correctly, why doesn't rlogin?

2. ftp -- Probably configured wrong ( I don't know much about it). I can
ftp to the machine, and issue one (1) request. The machine will honor the
request (get, put, ls, etc...), but any subsequent requests yeild an error
concerning access to sockets. I think it's "can't create socket, permission
denied". (Oh, and there's a large number in the error). Anyway, it means
that mget or mput both fail after the first file goes across. It's a real
pain.

I'd appriciate any comments.

Peter
-----
peter@amber.nmt.edu
peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu
(505) 255-8611

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/16/89)

>    First, this is a 6150-135 running AIX 2.2.1 with a baseband adapter
>
>1. rlogin -- Coming from a VAX running BSD4.3, ...  When I rlogin to the
>RT and try to use vi, I get 'Don't know enough about your terminal'.

This is a known problem with the rlogind that IBM uses in AIX.  It has
been discussed in this newsgroup recently, and I have reported it to IBM
support (as have several others).  The only solution is to log out, and
rlogin again.  If you are lucky, it will be ok the second time.  If not,
it might take you three or four tries.

There is a simple way to tell if it is right or not, without having to
wait for vi to fail; try 'termdef -l' or 'termdef -c'.  If they report 0,
it's wrong.  I have added one of these commands to my .profile, so when
I rlogin, I see during the login process if I am screwed or not.

jw

vlruo02@dutrun.UUCP (Ge van Geldorp) (09/20/89)

In article <3160@nmtsun.nmt.edu> peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel)
writes:
>1. rlogin -- Coming from a VAX running BSD4.3, the terminal information
>seems to get hosed. All my pts's are defined as VT100, the BSD csh has
>the TERM=vt100, and the appropriate termcap=. When I rlogin to the RT and
>try to use vi, I get 'Don't know enough about your terminal'. I have tried
>setenv TERM, and I know I configured the pts terminal type right. Telnet
>into the machine set's everything up correctly, why doesn't rlogin?

This problem has been reported here (and to IBM) before. It seems that
IBM finally fixed it, although I wouldn't want to employ the guy who
wrote the fix. The fix is part of PTF 1751. There are only some small
problems with it... PTF 1751 is known to screw up your system if you
run Distributed Services. Also the fix is not complete.
Since we are not running DS, I thought I would take my chances and apply
the update. The good news is that rlogin/vi now works. The bad news is
that rsh (without command following) still doesn't work, i.e. I still
get the message 'Don't know enough about your terminal to use visual'
after logging in using rsh. So you can forget the standard trick of
linking your hostname to rsh.
Also, after using rlogin, termdef -c and termdef -l usually return 0
until I use vi for the first time. After that, termdef -c and termdef -l
work ok. Still, I think I can live with this situation (at least for
some time).
Now, all I have to do is to relink all my curses-based applications...

Ge van Geldorp.
(ge@dutlru2.tudelft.nl or ...!uunet!hp4nl!dutlru2!ge)