[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] RT running AIX w/Ethernet card....

jeanpaul@duteca (J.P.M. van der Jagt) (09/21/89)

In article <12724@s.ms.uky.edu> pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:

>I have seen many people posting about using their RT's with ethernet.
>Alas I cannot seem to piece it together.  I have all the appropriate
>files with the appropriate setting, _except_ the fact that I never used
>the devices command and I am pretty sure I need to.  I enter and go
>to the 'add' function.  But there does not seem to be any available choices
>for adding it.  I know this is kind of vague, but I am not sitting at the
>console right now and can't remember what the exact message is when the
>system comes up.  The daemon appears to boot up but when I try to Telnet
>out it claims 'network unreachable'.  I am getting ready to order the
>Communications guide to installing TCPIP but didn't want to wait for
>it if someone could push me in the right direction.
>Any help would be appreciated.

This is the way we did it (on a RT-6150 with AIX-2.2.1):
With the "devices" command add "adapter" "net0" and set the correct addresses
and interrupt-level (our settings: rsa=98000, rea=99FFF, brsa=9A000,
brea=9FFFF, il1=5 or il1=9) and add "datalink" "ethllc0". Next edit "/etc/net":
uncomment "net0" and fill in the tcpip-adress of the machine and the correct
settings (ours: inetlen=1498, r_inetl=1498). Next edit "/etc/hosts" and add
a line with the tcpip-adress and the name of the machine. Next execute:
"/etc/netconfig". Your machine is now connected to the ethernet. Next execute:
"/bin/hostname your_machine_name". Your machine now has a name. Next remote
copy from another machine on the net the complete "/etc/hosts" file with all
the machines on the net in it and add its contents to your "/etc/hosts". Next
execute: "/etc/inetd" to start the internet-daemon. Next with the "devices"
command add "pty" "pts" (on our machines: 8 with logger, 8 without one).
Next execute: "/etc/penable -a". Your machine can now be reached by other
machines on the net, using "rlogin" or "telnet". Next edit "/etc/rc.tcpip",
search for the line with "/bin/hostname" and fill in the name of the machine.
If you use UUCP and/or Sendmail, uncomment the UUCP-daemon startup and/or
the Sendmail-daemon startup. You may uncomment the rwho-daemon startup.
Next edit "/etc/rc.include", search for the line with "rc.tcpip" and
uncomment it. If you have NFS, search for the line with "rc.nfs", uncomment
it, edit the files "/etc/rc.nfs" and "/etc/exports" and customize them and
execute "sh /etc/rc.nfs". If you have UUCP, search for the line with
"/bin/uname -S", fill in the name of the machine and execute "/bin/uname -S
your_machine_name". Next edit the "/etc/hosts.equiv" and add the names of
the trusted machines on the network. If you want to use your machine as
printserver edit "/etc/hosts.lpd" and add the machine-names, which are
alouwed to use the printers on your machine. Next start the UUCP-, Sendmail-
and/or rwho-daemon as described in "/etc/rc.tcpip".

Hope it helps. Good luck.