[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] AIX fullscreen file editors

markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) (09/26/89)

We were having a discussion on editors for unix, and in particular AIX, and
the question came up:

What editors are available for AIX?

IBM ships vi (of course) and INed from interactive with AIX.  But what
other editors are available for AIX?

EMACS (sp?) has been mentioned. Where is it available with support?  I have
downloaded the GNU emacs and am starting to compile it, but the manuals
are written in TeX and I do not have it available.  What we are looking
for are commercial products that would run out of the box for AIX and
have documentation and support.

Most of our users are also IBM MVS mainframe
users are are used to using ISPF.  A lot of our PC users use the product
SPF/PC.  Is there a SPF beast for AIX (unix?)

P.S.  I know that editors are a religious subject,  so no flames about SPF,
just the facts please.

THanks

Markw

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (09/26/89)

In article <39@airgun.wg.waii.com> markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) writes:
 [.....]
>What editors are available for AIX?

Unipress Emacs is an out of the box emacs which will run on AIX.  This
is not an endorsement.  I use GNUemacs, personally, and have never
used Unipress emacs.

I've also seen people use the Andrew editor, the one that does
integrated text and graphics.  I have no idea where it is available
outside of IBM, and it probably doesn't qualify as a vendor supported
editor.

>....  Is there a SPF beast for AIX (unix?)

There is one internally in IBM, but that doesn't help you, of course.
It is more of an xeditish beast.

Speaking for myself, of course.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

garnett@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John Garnett) (09/26/89)

In article <39@airgun.wg.waii.com>, markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) writes:
> We were having a discussion on editors for unix, and in particular AIX, and
> What editors are available for AIX?
>
> EMACS (sp?) has been mentioned. Where is it available with support?

I don't remember the name of the company which sells it, but I think you can
find out in the _RT PC Hardware/Software Catalog_ (a white softbound book that
is pretty much aged beyond usefullness [1987 or so]).  Could be that the
same company is still selling it.  I assume they provide support since
they are asking money :-).

John Garnett (garnett@rpp386.cactus.org)

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (09/26/89)

The address is:

     Free Software Foundation
     1000 Mass Ave
     Cambridge, MA 02138
     USA

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

LUSGR@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (09/26/89)

In article <39@airgun.wg.waii.com>, markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) writes:
> We were having a discussion on editors for unix, and in particular AIX, and
> the question came up:
>
> What editors are available for AIX?
> EMACS (sp?) has been mentioned. Where is it available with support?  I have
> downloaded the GNU emacs and am starting to compile it, but the manuals
> are written in TeX and I do not have it available.  What we are looking
> for are commercial products that would run out of the box for AIX and
> have documentation and support.
>
> --
> Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
> Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
> A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw@airgun.wg.waii.com
> ....!texbell!moray!airgun!markw     UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw
--

As regards to GNU Emacs, (I would suggest you make sure you have the latest
version (18.55) for AIX), in the file etc/distrib, you will find order

Steve
Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (keenan royle) (09/26/89)

Where I used to work they used Unipress emacs on the RT.
So if you insist on using an editor that will cost you alot
of money its a choice.

news@ibmpa.UUCP (news id) (09/27/89)

The Andrew Tool Kit is available free on the X11 tape in the
``contrib'' directory, and is also available from the ITC
(Information Technology Center) at CMU.  It works on 4.3 RT and
AIX 2.2.1 under X.

|  Marc Pawliger  IBM Advanced Workstation Division, Palo Alto  |
|       IBM:  marc@ibmpa.tcspa.ibm.com   MARC at PALOALTO	|
| Anywhere Else:   uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc	(415) 855-3493	|