[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Using non-IBM Postscript printers with RT's and AIX

krb@mae37.ncsu.edu (Kenneth Barnhouse) (09/28/89)

Has anybody out on the net had any experience hooking up a non-IBM
PostScript printer to an RT running AIX 2.2.1?  I have a NEC laserprinter
that talks PostScript that I want to use the RT, but I am not having any luck
with it as a PostScript printer. I have tried both the serial and parallel
"other printer" devices definitions. I think that AIX (piobe) or the "devices"
definition of the printer is sending carriage control information that I don't
need with the PostScript files.

I have been successful in using the printer in "DIABLO" mode, so I don't think
it is a simple wrong cable/ operator error communications problem. Any
suggestions,
how-to advice, examples would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken Barnhouse				bitnet: barnhouse@ncsuche
Systems Programmer			internet: krb@mae01.ncsu.edu
Engineering Computer Operations		phone: (919) 737-2458
North Carolina State University

disclaimer: My wife doesn't listen to my opinions, so I don't expect you to.

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (09/28/89)

In article <4053@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> krb@mae37.ncsu.edu (Kenneth Barnhouse) writes:
>Has anybody out on the net had any experience hooking up a non-IBM
>PostScript printer to an RT running AIX 2.2.1?
> I think that AIX (piobe) or the "devices"

Disclaimer: Non-IBM printers are not officially supported on AIX/RT.

I don't know about the PostScript processor you are using, so I'm assuming
you have a file in PostScript form and just want to send the file, exactly
as is, to the printer.

Check the /etc/qconfig entry for the printer. Look at the arguments to
piobe. There should be a "-statusfile" and some other things there by
default. You can add the option "-plot". The -plot option can also be
added to the print command:

	% print -plot file.foo

The -plot option sends things as raw data with no interpretation of the
AIX Printer Data Stream (see tech ref manual).

The only other potential problem may be the flow control. Try -plot, then
call your local IBM office.

	-- David

David Luner
Systems Engineer