[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] LU6.2 conversation in a single AIX machine

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl) (09/26/89)

Environment: AIX 2.2.1, SNA Services
Is it possible to set up a LU6.2 conversation between two transaction programs
on the SAME AIX machine? After juggling around with the SNA profiles quite a
while, we haven't found a solution.
The problem is that the remote node for the remote transaction program list
has to be != the local node.
Somebody told us it should be possible, but not how. He also told us that this
kind of setup does not make sense. Of course, it does. The program I write
should connect to two server programs, one under AIX and one in CICS. Why
should I build two interfaces, one for sockets and one for APPC?
If anybody has a working set of profiles, or knows how to do it,
then PLEASE HELP !

Thanx,
       EDV Ges.m.b.H Vienna              Johann Schweigl
       Hofmuehlgasse 3 - 5               USENET: johnny@edvvie.at
       A-1060 Vienna, Austria      Tel: (0043) (222) 59907 257 (8-19 CET)

wclark@csi.3Com.Com (Wayne Clark) (10/04/89)

In article <161@eliza.edvvie.at> johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl) writes:
>Environment: AIX 2.2.1, SNA Services
>Is it possible to set up a LU6.2 conversation between two transaction programs
>on the SAME AIX machine? After juggling around with the SNA profiles quite a
>while, we haven't found a solution.
>The problem is that the remote node for the remote transaction program list
>has to be != the local node.
>Somebody told us it should be possible, but not how. He also told us that this
>kind of setup does not make sense. Of course, it does. The program I write
>should connect to two server programs, one under AIX and one in CICS. Why
>should I build two interfaces, one for sockets and one for APPC?
>If anybody has a working set of profiles, or knows how to do it,
>then PLEASE HELP !
>
>Thanx,
>--
>       ------------------------------------------------------------------
>       EDV Ges.m.b.H Vienna              Johann Schweigl
>       Hofmuehlgasse 3 - 5               USENET: johnny@edvvie.at
>       A-1060 Vienna, Austria      Tel: (0043) (222) 59907 257 (8-19 CET)

There are two ways that the LU 6.2 architecture supports conversations between
two Transaction Programs at the same node:
  (1) ALLOCATE LU(OWN) aka Option Set 204 (in the latest Transaction
      Programmer's Reference Manual) which allows conversations between 2 TP's
      at the same LU, and
  (2) Local Path Control routing.  Path Control at the local node should be
      able to detect Partner Logical Unit names that really reside on the
      local node instead of a remote node.

While these issues are addressed in the architecture, product reality is quite
different!  Very few implementations of LU 6.2 anywhere provide (1) and the
capability of (2), if it exists at all, is embedded deep inside the SNA
implementation and probably not mentioned in external documents.

I am not very familiar with the AIX implementation of LU 6.2, but check
sna_alloc() to see if it says anything about ALLOCATE LU(OWN).
--------------

Wayne Clark
IBM Connectivity Operations, 3Com Corporation
(formerly Communications Solutions, Inc.)

phone:	408/562-6967
EMail:	{nsc,bnrmtv,epimass}!csi!wclark
		 -or-
	Wayne_Clark@SPD.3mail.3Com.COM

jsm@Apple.COM (Jeff Miller) (10/05/89)

In article <1507@csib.csi.3Com.Com> wclark@csib (Wayne Clark) writes:
>There are two ways that the LU 6.2 architecture supports conversations between
>two Transaction Programs at the same node:
>  (1) ALLOCATE LU(OWN) aka Option Set 204 (in the latest Transaction
>      Programmer's Reference Manual) which allows conversations between 2 TP's
>      at the same LU, and
>  (2) Local Path Control routing.  Path Control at the local node should be
>      able to detect Partner Logical Unit names that really reside on the
>      local node instead of a remote node.
>
>While these issues are addressed in the architecture, product reality is quite
>different!  Very few implementations of LU 6.2 anywhere provide (1) and the
>capability of (2), if it exists at all, is embedded deep inside the SNA
>implementation and probably not mentioned in external documents.

Just for the curious, Apple's MacAPPC product does provide (1) as
well as (2), although I believe the actual implementation for talking
between two LUs at the same node is a little strange.  To the TP programmer,
however, it is very straightforward to do both these things.  This doesn't
help you for AIX, but you could always buy a Macintosh :-).

Jeff Miller