[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Compression format of AIX

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (10/03/89)

Is it my imagination, or does AIX (RT) have its own idea of what file
compression means?  Is there a way to uncompress standard .Z files
using AIX 2.2.1?  If not, does anyone out there have a public domain version
of uncompress/zcat that I could have?  I really would like to get at those
public domain sources which are stored in compressed format.

Thanks so much,

	Karin Meyer
--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (10/04/89)

From article <13906@well.UUCP>, by gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart):
> Is it my imagination, or does AIX (RT) have its own idea of what file
> compression means?  Is there a way to uncompress standard .Z files
> using AIX 2.2.1?  If not, does anyone out there have a public domain version
> of uncompress/zcat that I could have?  I really would like to get at those
> public domain sources which are stored in compressed format.

'compress' does not come with AIX in any flavor.  You might be looking at
packed ( ends with a lower case .z instead of an upper case one ) instead
of compressed format.  It's quicker/easier to unpack a file rather than to
uncompress it.   As far as I know, only man pages are normally packed.  The
packed format is almost always larger than a compressed version.

'compress' is part of 'B' news.  It compiles easily ( but needs the -a
compile option ) and works on AIX.  The source is 35k - see if you can
get it locally, otherwise I can send it to you.

There is an 'uncompress'(?) or something that comes with the PL8 compiler.
That's something totally different that I'm not familiar with.

--
Ed Clarke
acheron!clarke

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) (10/04/89)

In article <13906@well.UUCP> gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) writes:
>Is it my imagination, or does AIX (RT) have its own idea of what file
>compression means?

I think this is an AT&T-ism, not an AIX change.  SysV provides the
pack/unpack/pcat set of commands, while the BSD world has instead
compress/uncompress/zcat.  If you have access to a BSD source license,
compress et al can be ported in a matter of minutes, but they aren't
currently shipped with AIX/RT.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/06/89)

In article <1113@ks.UUCP> drake@ibmarc.UUCP (Sam Drake) writes:
>I think this is an AT&T-ism, not an AIX change.  SysV provides the
>pack/unpack/pcat set of commands, while the BSD world has instead
>compress/uncompress/zcat.  If you have access to a BSD source license,
>compress et al can be ported in a matter of minutes, but they aren't
>currently shipped with AIX/RT.

You certainly *DON'T* need a BSD source license.  compress/etc. are
available with the B News distribution as well as in the comp.sources
archives available on UUNET.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (10/06/89)

In article <1989Oct3.221135.21254@acheron.uucp>, Ed Clarke writes:
> It's quicker/easier to unpack a file rather than to uncompress it.

My immediate reaction was "no way!" but rather than shoot first, I
tried both for a copy of a 745k unix kernel - a sample binary. Text
files have more dramatic results in favor of compress. The results
below show about twice as long to compress vs. pack, but around the
same time to decompress vs. pack. Considering that in my experience
compress ALWAYS gives smaller output size, I always use compress.

Results:	(RT model 125, AIX 2.2.1, 8meg memory)
# ls -las unix*
1464 -r--r--r--   1 root     system    745892 Oct  6 10:27 unix.1
1464 -r--r--r--   1 root     system    745892 Oct  6 10:28 unix.2
# time pack unix.1
pack: unix.1: 18.3% Compression
real       15.7 user        9.7 sys         1.0
# time compress -v unix.2
unix.2: 745892 chars in, 269927 codes (508253 bytes) out, compression 149.17%
Compression as in compact: 32.11%
Largest code (of last block) was 62532 (16 bits)
real       43.0 user       31.8 sys         0.7
# ls -las unix*
1196 -r--r--r--   1 root     system    609483 Oct  6 10:27 unix.1.z
1000 -r--r--r--   1 root     system    508253 Oct  6 10:28 unix.2.Z
# time unpack unix.1
unpack: unix.1: unpacked
real       36.1 user       23.3 sys         2.5
# time compress -dv unix.2
unix.2.Z:  -- replaced with unix.2
real       41.5 user       17.3 sys         1.8

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com