[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] RPQ Upgrade for 125 -> 135

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (10/11/89)

In article <174@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Can you just pull the ROMP or APC card (+ memory) from an RT chassis and
>plug in a model 135 processor/memory board?

There is such a field upgrade available throught IBM. For information,
contact your local IBM Branch Office.

David Luner
Systems Engineer
IBM Madison
608-273-5243

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/11/89)

In article <8812@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>In article <174@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>Can you just pull the ROMP or APC card (+ memory) from an RT chassis and
>>plug in a model 135 processor/memory board?
>There is such a field upgrade available throught IBM. For information,
>contact your local IBM Branch Office.

What's it cost <gulp>?  I ask you here, because calling my sales office won't
guarantee me a response anytime soon.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (10/11/89)

dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>>Can you just pull the ROMP or APC card (+ memory) from an RT chassis and
>>>plug in a model 135 processor/memory board?
>>There is such a field upgrade available throught IBM. For information,
>>contact your local IBM Branch Office.
>What's it cost <gulp>?

First I preach.

With the exception of the folks at Palo Alto (AWD Support for AOS),
most of the IBMers that post on this forum are nice guys from the
Research Division. I'm in the Marketing Division and support customers
running AIX in commercial environments. As we all know, IBM Marketing
is slowly catching on to the RT as a real system. Please use your local
branch office as a resource for questions as much as possible. This is
the only way they will build the expertise so that they can answer your
questions in the future.

Preach off.

The RPQ for 115/125/B25 upgrade to a 130/135/B35 is RPQ Number 8A0168.
In order to apply this RPQ, you must have

	(1) a 115/125/B25 system
	(2) a supported system display and adapter
	(3) AFPA Level 2 (open it up, high order bar code A1206 or higher)
	(4) IBM EESDI P/N 22F9727 or 30F8821 or F/C 3506 (Port. Disk).
	    [older adapters may be used but with performance degradation]
	(5) AIX 2.2 or equivalent

What you get: Processor card with 16MB memory

What you do: Take out old processor card & memory. They're yours to keep.
	     Put in new card.

This is a NON-STANDARD RPQ. Upgrades must be approved by Austin.
Discounts may apply, contact your local IBM Branch Office.

Cost: $17,140.

In article <8825@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>First I preach.
>
>With the exception of the folks at Palo Alto (AWD Support for AOS),
>most of the IBMers that post on this forum are nice guys from the
>Research Division. I'm in the Marketing Division and support customers
>running AIX in commercial environments. As we all know, IBM Marketing
>is slowly catching on to the RT as a real system. Please use your local
>branch office as a resource for questions as much as possible. This is
>the only way they will build the expertise so that they can answer your
>questions in the future.
>
>Preach off.

You'd do well to find someplace more congenial to preach.

What the hell use is it to call my IBM branch office when they don't
return phone calls?  You'd think that that damn Rolm voice mail system
was a black hole.  And when I <very occasionally> get someone on the
phone, they do not have the info at hand, and then the calls don't get
returned.  I learned this a year or so ago when I tried to get the model
125 upgrade.  It was *only* through making noise here on the net after months
of wasting time with the branch that I got in touch with the right people
in Austin, and the product was shipped to me.  If I had been been satisfied
with repeatedly calling my branch office, I'd be typing this on a Model 20
right now

There are lots of ways for IBM to educate its marketing people.
Using its customers as teachers is a very poor way, and I'm not
interested in participating, thanks.  I'm only interested in results,
and I'll frankly do whatever (civil) I need to to reach that.  The net
works.  Calling the branch doesn't.  Guess what I choose to do?

Thanks for the info on the 135 board.  It's a shame it's so expensive.

--

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/12/89)

From article <8825@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):

> First I preach.

  <First I make a fool of myself in front of more than 1 million readers>

> With the exception of the folks at Palo Alto (AWD Support for AOS),
> most of the IBMers that post on this forum are nice guys from the
> Research Division.

  <With the exeption of my own view of other IBM internal affairs
   which should not be discussed on a public network>

>  I'm in the Marketing Division and support customers
> running AIX in commercial environments.

   <I am in marketing>

> As we all know, IBM Marketing
> is slowly catching on to the RT as a real system.

  < But I don't know what I'm doing yet.>

> Please use your local
> branch office as a resource for questions as much as possible. This is
> the only way they will build the expertise so that they can answer your
> questions in the future.

  < Please spend more of your time and money teach me how to market
    a UNIX product more effectively >

> Preach off.

  I didn't really mean to poke at you but I was under the impression
IBM had a little more marketing clout than to ask thier customers
how to do it. In fact I would think that IBM would spend marketing
dollars to compile this information. I don't know I could be wrong,
but if a potential customer reads that you have call up and *build*
*teach* thier marketing department on something thier trying to
find out you may scare them away.

---Bob

Disclaimer: Of coarse these are my opinions only.
            That is what my lawyer told me to say.

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (10/12/89)

In article <8825@spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) writes:
>First I preach.
>
>Please use your local branch office as a resource for questions as much as
>possible. This is the only way they will build the expertise so that they
>can answer your questions in the future.
>
>Preach off.

I get to pay through the nose for the privilege of doing this.
Plus, I get to invest huge amounts of my own time doing this.

Somehow, this doesn't seem like a really great deal to me...

jw