[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Portable Disk and lp0

cnt022@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Muraoka Labo. center) (10/06/89)

I am a user of RT in Japan.  I have some trouble on my RT.
I would be greatful if you help me.

We have external hard disk drive(6156-001, 310MB portable disk).
I have done the installation of this under AIX 2.2.0.
But after installation, it is happened that I can't use a
printer which is connected serial port 1.  (Before installation
I had been able to use lp0.)

I try to print using 'print' command, system shows the message
like this:

QDAEMON (WARRING): cannot open /dev/lp0

and nothing is happened.  The status which is displayed by
'print -q' command is like this:

dev  arg         status      request               pp output  % done
---  ----------  ----------  --------------------  ---------  ------
lp0  lp0         WAITING     .cshrc                     0         0
plt  plt         READY
bsh  bsh         READY

queue  user      request              blks cops pri  time   to
-----  --------  -------------------- ---- ---- ---  -----  --------
lp0    kusa      .cshrc                  2    1  15  20:41  kusa

The system is 6150 with APC, AFPA with DMA support and Extended
ESDI ver1.00.  The printer type is osp1(other serial printer 1).

If you know something about this probrem, your help will be
appreciated.  Direct help via BITNET will be also welcomed.

	Yoshihiro KUSANO	      /\/\/\/\
	Waseda univ.		     /        \
	Tokyo JAPAN		    / Mt. Fuji \
	BITNET  CNTA02@JPNWAS00	   /            \

markw@airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) (10/13/89)

In article <1861@wucc.waseda.ac.jp>, cnt022@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Muraoka Labo. center) writes:
> We have external hard disk drive(6156-001, 310MB portable disk).
> I have done the installation of this under AIX 2.2.0.
> But after installation, it is happened that I can't use a
> printer which is connected serial port 1.  (Before installation
> I had been able to use lp0.)
[ status description deleted ]

> The system is 6150 with APC, AFPA with DMA support and Extended
> ESDI ver1.00.  The printer type is osp1(other serial printer 1).
Check for interrupt level conflicts. serial port #1 uses dma channel 3 and
no interrupt levels.  The portable disk controller card by default also
uses by design dma channel #3.  (it is considered the secondary controller and
the original EESDI or ESDI controller card id the primary)
For serial port #1 to operate, set it to use DMA channel 1.  No other cards
or adapters use this channel.
--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,