[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Slip for RT?

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (09/26/89)

Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
kind of info I can get.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chet Ramey

--
Chet Ramey			"We are preparing to think about contemplating
Network Services Group, CWRU	 preliminary work on plans to develop a

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/27/89)

In article <684@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
>info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
>kind of info I can get.

Async support in the stock Dec 88 release of AOS is completely bogus--
you'll lose characters all over the place, making SLIP essentially useless.
The fixes posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt (and available via UUCP from
ibmsupt) are said to correct this.  Also, the Sep 88 kernel works OK.

You'll want to use the buffered async board, in my experience, if you're
running at 9600 baud or 19.2kb--the older unbuffered board and the planar
ports lose characters regardless of the AOS revision.

Once you have this settled, SLIP works fine.  I had to hunt down on UUNET
slattach.c and compile and install it as /etc/slattach, since I didn't see
it in the distribution (maybe I messed up, I dunno.)  I've been running
for almost a year with a SLIP connection at 19.2kb.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

@specialix.co.uk (09/27/89)

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
>info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
>kind of info I can get.

I asked this one about 2 months back and lot's of people said

	`If you find one let me know'

but nobody said they had a version that worked (I was looking for AIX
version for RT and/or PS/2).    If somebody has done a slip version
for AIX and it is not based on licenced code how about posting it ?

--
John Pettitt				UUCP: uunet!slxsys!jpp
Internet: John.Pettitt@specialix.co.uk

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/27/89)

chet@cwns1.ins.cwru.edu writes:
   Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
   info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
   kind of info I can get.

I'm running SLIP on RTs running Mach 2.5.  I'm told that the AOS
drivers are (largely?) what's in Mach.  I discovered a fencepost error
in the latest SLIP driver, what amounts to an off-by-1 error in
slinput() because it checks for noisy line packet overrun via (count
>= SLMTU) rather than (count > SLMTU).  A new Mach kernel with the
4.3-tahoe SLIP driver is working fine so far, but I have to do some
more testing before I'm fully convinced.

The async port driver on this system is deeply braindamaged.  I get
error messages on the console such as "asy0: overrun error" and
"slih6: undefined bit(s) in softlevel: 4" down to speeds as low as
1200bps.  The fact that the system wastes time chattering these
messages onto the console makes the problem worse.  I've done a rude
thing with Emacs to put a ^@ at the beginning of these messages, so I
don't see them any more.

--Karl

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep27.072019.15346@specialix.co.uk> @specialix.co.uk writes:
>chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>>Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
>>info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
>>kind of info I can get.
>
>I asked this one about 2 months back and lot's of people said
>
>	`If you find one let me know'

OK. I'll answer.

At least one of my customers have successfully set up SLIP on AIX/RT V.
2.2.1.  I can't answer if there were things "to watch out for", but I
asked him if it worked and he said yes. It's not being used in a
"production" environment, he just set it up to try it.

If you are having problems *with AIX* on this, please call your local
IBM Branch Office. If that doesn't work, call me.

David Luner
Systems Engineer
IBM Madison
(608) 273-5243

drake@ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep27.072019.15346@specialix.co.uk> @specialix.co.uk writes:
>                                If somebody has done a slip version
>for AIX and it is not based on licenced code how about posting it ?

I haven't tried it, but AIX/RT 2.2 and above support SLIP already ... no
porting should be required.  See the manual, "Interface Program for use
with TCP/IP", order number SC23-2005-1, around page 4-56.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (09/29/89)

In article <684@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
>info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
>kind of info I can get.

I've run SL/IP between two AIX boxes using AIX 2.2.1.  Don't try it on
2.2, and get the current maint for 2.2.1.  A co-worker of mine, Nick
Trio, has managed to hook KA9Q to AIX running SL/IP, with no problems
other than those supplied by our dial up security system.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

cslater@ibmpa.UUCP (Charlie Slater) (10/26/89)

In article <684@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>Has anyone successfully run slip on an RT (preferably running AOS, but AIX
>info is welcome as well)?  Anything to look out for?  I'm looking for any
>kind of info I can get.
>
>Thanks in anticipation,
>
>Chet Ramey

The SLIP code shipped with BSD 4.3 is included with AOS.  The problem
is that the asynchronous support shipped in December '88 did not work.
This problem is fixed by fix V1.3.  With fix V1.3, SLIP works at
19200 bps.

Here are the things you need to do to set it up:
Make sure the psuedo device "sl" is in your kernel config file
(It is in "GENERIC").
Compile slattach (find it in /usr/src/etc).
login using tip or kermit or whatever.
put this in the background with control/z.
on each host:
/etc/slattach tty speed  (e.g. slattach tty01 19200)
/etc/ifconfig sl0 inet source destination options.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself not for IBM.

charlie slater
uunet!ibmsupt!cslater		(UUCP)
cslater%ibmsupt@uunet.uu.net	(Internet)
cslater@ibmpa.tcspa.ibm.com	(IBM internal internet)