[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] 6157-002 tape drive - is it compatible with anything?

uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (11/07/89)

From article by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):

> If I recall correctly, and I'll check tonight, a -002 *can* read tapes
> written by a -001, but not the other way around. (And there is no way
> to make a -002 write tapes in such a way that a -001 can read them).

OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?

Thanks to everybody who'll give the correct answer (:-).

Uri.
------------
<Disclaimer>

herb@blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) (11/07/89)

In article <1989Nov6.192632.9113@arnor.uucp>, uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
> From article by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):
> >
> > If I recall correctly, and I'll check tonight, a -002 *can* read tapes
> > written by a -001, but not the other way around. (And there is no way
> > to make a -002 write tapes in such a way that a -001 can read them).

I've verified that this is true.

> OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
> Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
> written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?

I've had success in reading tapes written on 6157-002's with Mountain
tape drives under SCO Xenix... Vise versa as well... I generally use
tar for everything I do... However, I haven't had any success in taking
an RT tape to work and reading it on the Apollo's.  The Apollo's seem
to choke on something.  This is under SR9.7 and SR10.1 under both BSD4.x
and SYS5Rx, however I have had limited success in reading an Apollo
written tape on the 6157-002... Generally what happens is the RT will
read about the first track on the tape and then return a "directory
checksum" error.  If I use the -h option with tar, the tape drive just
goes back and reads the same stuff over and over again just asking me
to "insert the next volume and press return".  I've tried several
different block sizes and nothing seems to work... I don't know what's
at fault here, whether it's the RT, the Apollo's, or a combination of
both...  It took 3 tries before I finally managed to get GNUEMACS
from work to my RT...

BTW: Has anyone actually managed to get GNU 18.51 to work on an RT
under AIX 2.2.1??? I can get it to compile without problems but when
I run the executable, it just returns "killed"... "sdb" won't read the
sucker in at all... In fact, trying to use sdb on xemacs just hung the
machine...   If anyone has ANY diff's at all for GNU18.51 for AIX I'd
be forever in your debt if you sent them to me... AOS people need not
send their sympathies.  I'm jealous enough as it is...

UUCP: herb@blender.UUCP   ||  ...calgary!xenlink!blender!{herb||root}
ICBM: 51 03 N / 114 05 W
"The other day, I...... No wait... That wasn't me!" <Steven Wright>

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (11/07/89)

In article <1989Nov6.192632.9113@arnor.uucp>, uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
< From article by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):
< >
<
< OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
< Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
< written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?

Sure, it is a standard QIC-120/150 drive.  And the 6157-002 is simply
a standard Cypher cartridge drive with a different color scheme and
three extra letters, for which you can pay an extra $1000 or so. :-)

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/08/89)

In article <464@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>Sure, it is a standard QIC-120/150 drive.  And the 6157-002 is simply
>a standard Cypher cartridge drive with a different color scheme and
>three extra letters, for which you can pay an extra $1000 or so. :-)

Are you telling me that there is some way to connect a Cipher 150mb drive
to the IBM cartridge tape controller and expect it to work?  I'm all ears...

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (11/08/89)

In article <496@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> In article <464@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
> >Sure, it is a standard QIC-120/150 drive.  And the 6157-002 is simply
> >a standard Cypher cartridge drive with a different color scheme and
> >three extra letters, for which you can pay an extra $1000 or so. :-)
>
> Are you telling me that there is some way to connect a Cipher 150mb drive
> to the IBM cartridge tape controller and expect it to work?  I'm all ears...

All I know is that I was configuring some RTs for resale by a client.  I had
written SCSI drivers for various tape devices, so having the extra slot
filled by the IBM streamer seemed like a waste.  I called the local Cipher
distributor asking for a SCSI streamer, but unfortunately no one (at that
point) had a 1/4" drive with a differential SCSI interface (thanks IBM!),
but Cipher was thinking of making one just to satisfy the differential
market.  But he did mention that the box IBM supplies is _exactly_ the same
box that Cipher sells under its own name, except for the IBM color scheme.
I can't remember the details of the interface card, but I suppose the
interface is industry standard if the boxes are identical.  Call your local
Cipher rep and ask, or call 1-800-4-CIPHER and ask tech support.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (11/09/89)

From article <496@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, by dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer):

> Are you telling me that there is some way to connect a Cipher 150mb drive
> to the IBM cartridge tape controller and expect it to work?  I'm all ears...

Thanks to all who responded...

Now another question (:-). Can I connect IBM 6157-002 tape drive to
another *controller*? Let's say, Cicher? And expect it to work?

Regards,
Uri.            uri@ibm.com
------------    uunet!bywater!arnor!uri
<Disclaimer>

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov6.192632.9113@arnor.uucp> uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:

Uri> From article by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):
>
> If I recall correctly, and I'll check tonight, a -002 *can* read tapes
> written by a -001, but not the other way around. (And there is no way
> to make a -002 write tapes in such a way that a -001 can read them).

Uri> OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
Uri> Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
Uri> written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?

Uri> Thanks to everybody who'll give the correct answer (:-).

I believe that it is QIC-40.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
"A message is not a message until the rules for interpreting it

garnett@rpp386.cactus.org (John Garnett) (11/12/89)

In article <1989Nov10.161919.1584@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <1989Nov6.192632.9113@arnor.uucp> uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
>

>Uri> OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
>Uri> Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
>Uri> written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?
>
>Uri> Thanks to everybody who'll give the correct answer (:-).
>
>I believe that it is QIC-40.
>
>--
>Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>

Last time I checked you could use either QIC 120 (15 track) or QIC 150
(18 track) with the 6157-002.

--
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| John Garnett                       |      Base 1.9                     |

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (11/14/89)

Ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:
> Uri@gondor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) writes:
>
>Uri> From article by luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner):
>>
>> If I recall correctly, and I'll check tonight, a -002 *can* read tapes
>> written by a -001, but not the other way around. (And there is no way
>> to make a -002 write tapes in such a way that a -001 can read them).
>
>Uri> OK, another question from the same group (:-). Can ANYTHING in the
>Uri> Universe (except another RT, or another 6157-002 :-) *read* the tape
>Uri> written by a -002 ? Is it QIC-???, or what?

[I didn't answer earlier because someone already posted the correct answer.
 But now that someone posted the wrong answer... :-). ]

The 6157-002 writes either QIC-120 or QIC-150, depending on the tape.

The older drives don't know how to read that. The -002 drives *can* read
tapes written by a -001.

	-- David