[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] IBM Postscript & TeX & RT

grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/16/89)

We are considering getting an IBM 4216 or 4218 (whatever it's called)
Postscript printer.  We will be using this on an RT running AOS (4.3Unix).

We currently have a 3812 printer and use troff.  However, our ibm sponsored
project has some hardware money to spend.

We are considering the 421[68] because we want to start using TeX.

Now for the questions:

Does TeX available from wherever it is available support Postscript?
	(I pretty sure the answer is yes, but I better ask!)

Has anyone ported TeX to AOS?

Is the 421? a faithful Postscript printer?  (i.e. follows the postscript
language.)

What do I need to get from IBM besides the printer and cable?
	Fonts? Interface card? ...

Does IBM have a better Postscript printer?

Does anyone have TeX for the 3812 printer and AOS (IBM has it for AIX but
not AOS)?

Greg Rogers
Department of Computer Science
1304 W. Springfield Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801

grogers@cs.uiuc.edu

schwartz@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (11/16/89)

In article <38300013@m.cs.uiuc.edu> grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

   Does TeX available from wherever it is available support Postscript?
	   (I pretty sure the answer is yes, but I better ask!)

Yes.  There are a large number of DVI to PostScript translators
floating around.  The tex82 distribution includes a "dvialw" (DVI to
Apple LaserWriter) which is what we are mostly using just now.  Your
mileage may vary, so try a few and see which works best for you.

   Has anyone ported TeX to AOS?

The "port" basically consists of typing "make".   No worries.

--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>
"More mips; cheaper mips; never too many." -- John Mashey

andersnb@lab.nyu.edu (Brian Anderson) (11/17/89)

   From: grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt
   Date: 16 Nov 89 01:33:32 GMT
   Nf-ID: #N:m.cs.uiuc.edu:38300013:000:968
   Nf-From: m.cs.uiuc.edu!grogers    Nov 15 12:05:00 1989

   We are considering getting an IBM 4216 or 4218 (whatever it's called)
   Postscript printer.  We will be using this on an RT running AOS (4.3Unix).

   We currently have a 3812 printer and use troff.  However, our ibm sponsored
   project has some hardware money to spend.

   We are considering the 421[68] because we want to start using TeX.

   Now for the questions:

   Does TeX available from wherever it is available support Postscript?
	   (I pretty sure the answer is yes, but I better ask!)

yes, in the standard TeX distibution the driver dvialw is supplied.  This
converts dvi files to apple laserwriter which is postscript.

   Has anyone ported TeX to AOS?  No port is necessary.  AOS is a
faithful BSD4.3 port and as a result TeX runs fine.  At our lab I used
web2c (we didn't have pascal at the time) to generate c source for TeX
from the distribution tapes.  I was forced to use pcc to compile the c
source (which has worked fine for over a year) because hc was so buggy
(this might have changed with the new release , you could also use gcc
which has been ported to the RT's).

   Is the 421? a faithful Postscript printer?  (i.e. follows the postscript
   language.)

   What do I need to get from IBM besides the printer and cable?
	   Fonts? Interface card? ...

   Does IBM have a better Postscript printer?

   Does anyone have TeX for the 3812 printer and AOS (IBM has it for AIX but
   not AOS)?

Like I said there is nothing special about the TeX we have here.  The
only work I had to do was make a dvi to 3812 driver.  Since my port
several other drivers have appeared.  I could give you the info on
where to get them, but I believe that the current distribution
supplies a 3812 driver.

   Greg Rogers
   Department of Computer Science
   1304 W. Springfield Ave.
   Urbana, IL 61801

   grogers@cs.uiuc.edu

Brian G. Anderson                                       |
NYU Ultracomputer Research Project                     |||
715 Broadway  Rm. 1006                                |||||
New York, NY  10003                                   |||||
(212) 998-3346                                     --- //\ ---
arpa:	andersnb@cmcl2                             ----/ \----
uucp:	{ihnp4,seismo}!cmcl2!andersnb              ----   ----