[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] TCP/IP, telnet and the RT...

com6@uhnix1.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/15/89)

Hi.  We have an RT that is giving (and has always) problems with telneting
into it.  It says that all the network devices are in use, and
closes telnet.  Telneting *out* of the system is just hunky-dory.
Telnet is refused even when noone is logged into the machine... :-(

Any hints/suggestions?

--
Skate UNIX.
J. Eric Townsend com6@uhnix1.uh.edu | jet@karazm.math.uh.edU

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/16/89)

In article <16994@uhnix1.uh.edu> com6@uhnix1.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Hi.  We have an RT that is giving (and has always) problems with telneting
>into it.  It says that all the network devices are in use, and
>closes telnet.  Telneting *out* of the system is just hunky-dory.
>Telnet is refused even when noone is logged into the machine... :-(

Make more pty's by invoking the "devices" command.  It sounds like you
don't have any now.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (11/16/89)

In article <605@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM
(Steve Dyer) wrote:
|In article <16994@uhnix1.uh.edu> com6@uhnix1.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
||Hi.  We have an RT that is giving (and has always) problems with telneting
||into it.  It says that all the network devices are in use, and
||closes telnet.  Telneting *out* of the system is just hunky-dory.
||Telnet is refused even when noone is logged into the machine... :-(
|
|Make more pty's by invoking the "devices" command.  It sounds like you
|don't have any now.

Or else the ptys are present, but none are enabled.  Use `devices' to
turn the `ae' (auto-enable) option on for some of the ptys, so getty
will listen for logins on them.  Some un-enabled ptys should also be
present, for outgoing telnet and ftp sessions.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu

In article <6680@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>Or else the ptys are present, but none are enabled.  Use `devices' to
>turn the `ae' (auto-enable) option on for some of the ptys, so getty
>will listen for logins on them.  Some un-enabled ptys should also be
>present, for outgoing telnet and ftp sessions.

Are you telling me that AIX/RT doesn't use inetd but instead requires
getty to be spawned and waiting on each pty??  Gad.  At least AIX PS/2
gets THAT right.

Why would telnet (or for that matter, ftp) require a pty on outgoing
sessions?  Is this just a speculation of yours or are you relating
the awful truth?

--

In article <610@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM
(Steve Dyer) wrote:
>In article <6680@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu
(Chuck Karish) writes:
>>Or else the ptys are present, but none are enabled.  Use `devices' to
>>turn the `ae' (auto-enable) option on for some of the ptys, so getty
>>will listen for logins on them.  Some un-enabled ptys should also be
>>present, for outgoing telnet and ftp sessions.
>
>Are you telling me that AIX/RT doesn't use inetd but instead requires
>getty to be spawned and waiting on each pty??  Gad.  At least AIX PS/2
>gets THAT right.

I don't know precisely how this all works.  AIX/RT doesn't run a getty
for each pty.  It seems to keep a pool of gettys available, and inetd
associates them with ptys as requested.  The documentation for
setting up TCP/IP told me to make some ptys with ae set and some
without, so I did it and it worked.  It said that it used separate
ptys for the different streams FTP uses (2.1.1 doc).

AIX PS/2 also has two types of ptys, one with logins enabled and
one not.  It seems to set up ptys the same way the RT documentation
told me to.  The difference is that more of the configuration is
pre-set in the configuration files used by `devices'.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu

silver@s.cs.uiuc.edu (11/19/89)

Re: needing pts's enabled to telnet INTO an RT:

We have pts0-3 autoenabled, and #'s 4-8 NOT autoenabled and starting 2
days ago we could have 8 telnets logged in at once (Okay, I only did 6,
but close enough, huh?).

The thing we changed 2 days ago was the number of processes able to run
on the machine at a time.  In /etc/master the limit was set at 60!  Ugh!
When we boot, all the daemons, etc. total ~40 processes before anyone
is logged in!  Noticing the warning limit is 350, I upped the total to
150 (after that I expect the machine to be VERY slow) and left the
per-user process limit at 100.

Is 'procs = 60' really the default for an RT?

Perhaps this will help you use more pts's.

May all you programs compile on the first attempt.

Edward A. Silverstein
silver@director.beckman.uiuc.edu

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (11/20/89)

In article <610@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

>Are you telling me that AIX/RT doesn't use inetd but instead requires
>getty to be spawned and waiting on each pty??  Gad.  At least AIX PS/2
>gets THAT right.

AIX/RT does use inetd.  I didn't think that inetd had anything to do
with running getty on these ports.  Instead, I thought that was a
function of telnetd.

Essentially, what telnetd does step through the ptys using an ioctl to
determine when there is a ptc which is being waited for by open in
getty.  When it finds one, it opens the pts side.  An interesting side
effect of this is that a user program can get a login session by doing
the same thing.

>Why would telnet (or for that matter, ftp) require a pty on outgoing
>sessions?  Is this just a speculation of yours or are you relating
>the awful truth?

As far as I know, they do not.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

In article <6706@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:

>I don't know precisely how this all works.  AIX/RT doesn't run a getty
>for each pty.  It seems to keep a pool of gettys available, and inetd
>associates them with ptys as requested.

Not as far as I know.  The gettys are actually started on the ptys
which have ae enabled.  I've written a program which depends on this
behavior, and it seems to work.  There is a pool of ptys, not a pool
of gettys.

>The documentation for
>setting up TCP/IP told me to make some ptys with ae set and some
>without, so I did it and it worked.  It said that it used separate
>ptys for the different streams FTP uses (2.1.1 doc).

I somehow don't think that this is actually true.  You can determine
exactly what processes have a device open with

for a in `fuser /dev/ptc0`;do ps -p $a;done
for a in `fuser /dev/pts0`;do ps -p $a;done

Thus, it would be possible to do a ftp and cycle through all of your
ptys, and determine if ftp was actually using any of them.
--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)

gobran@ecs.umass.edu (11/22/89)

In article <213600008@s.cs.uiuc.edu>, silver@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Re: needing pts's enabled to telnet INTO an RT:
>
> We have pts0-3 autoenabled, and #'s 4-8 NOT autoenabled and starting 2
> days ago we could have 8 telnets logged in at once (Okay, I only did 6,
> but close enough, huh?).
>
> The thing we changed 2 days ago was the number of processes able to run
> on the machine at a time.  In /etc/master the limit was set at 60!  Ugh!
>
> Is 'procs = 60' really the default for an RT?
>
> Edward A. Silverstein
> silver@director.beckman.uiuc.edu

	If I remember correctly the X-windows manual for AIX/RT tells you to
increase the values of  'procs' and 'kprocs'  (and maybe some others) in
/etc/master when you install X since you will be using a nimber of pty's
with X.  So I would assume that these changes may also be helpful when
you have a large number of telnet sessions on a system.

Dave Gobran	UMass/Amherst
gobran@ecs.umass.edu	gobran@umaecs