[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Few questions on named

ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Anil Khullar) (11/10/89)

I have a few questions about nameserver which I'll try and rephrase
as clearly as possible:

  My  RT running AOS4.3 Dec Release is on a thick ethernet and happens
to be the only one in our building running a BSD flavor (others are VMS
Genera, and SysV etc.) We also have a router and we are subnetted to
.cuny.edu as .gc.cuny.edu. I am thinking of setting this RT as
nameserver to gc.cuny.edu (we have a Cisco router that now connects to
cunyvm.cuny.edu's ethernet via a t1, which has Cisco router and a protean
router) so that we have minimum problems about adding machines on our
building. The question is can I really create a named.boot without
without changing or updating to bind4.8 ?? And do I need to rebuild with
new set of network programs ?? (The update tape I got from my local REP
of the changes that were posted on usenet had more than he promised and
old makefiles that updated *all* my binaries and finally brought my machine
to a standstill. )

Thanks for your suggestion etc....

  -anil "try'n 2 finish my Ph.D" Khullar

cslater@ibmpa.UUCP (Charlie Slater) (11/21/89)

In article <2698ANKGC@CUNYVM> ANKGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Anil Khullar) writes:
>The question is can I really create a named.boot without
>without changing or updating to bind4.8 ?? And do I need to rebuild with
>new set of network programs ?? (The update tape I got from my local REP
>of the changes that were posted on usenet had more than he promised and
>old makefiles that updated *all* my binaries and finally brought my machine
>to a standstill. )

I am the system administrator for mixed environment in Palo Alto that
includes BSD/4.3 Tahoe (on a VAX 11/750), Mach (on NeXT, 370, and RT
platforms), Sun OS 3.5, Sun OS 4.0, AIX PS/2 1.1 and AIX RT 2.2.1.  The
"/etc/named" IBM shipped with IBM/4.3 in December 1988 with
interoperated with all of these machines.   This is the same named that
shipped with BSD/4.3 several years ago.  I imagine it has the same bugs
that the BSD version did (maybe a few more), but you can run this and
it will work.

I hacked out a new version of libc and built a BIND 4.8 named with
sources I got from uunet.  The advantage of 4.8 that I noticed was
improved reliability of our secondary nameservers.  Am also told that
4.5 send bogus query packets ("bogons") and 4.8 fixes the problem.
Other system administrators have done similar things in order to build
the 4.8 named.

The IBM/4.3 support group is working on a kit to build a BIND 4.8
named.  (Since there are many other programs my modified libc does not
build correctly, we thought it might be a bad idea to post it post)
I hope this kit will be available shortly.
--
charlie slater
uunet!ibmsupt!cslater		(UUCP)

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (11/22/89)

In article <3007@ibmpa.UUCP> cslater@marlin2.UUCP (Charlie Slater) writes:
>The IBM/4.3 support group is working on a kit to build a BIND 4.8
>named.  (Since there are many other programs my modified libc does not
>build correctly, we thought it might be a bad idea to post it post)
>I hope this kit will be available shortly.

I don't quite understand what's the big deal here.  I simply
compiled named from BIND4.8 and it worked...

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer