[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] looking for termcap entry for hft-c

usenet@usenet.umr.edu (usenet) (11/22/89)

We just recently acquired AIX for PS/2.  The AIX shell within X windows
insists on making itself into a "hft-c".  The rest of our world here is
AOS.  Question:  has anybody out there made a termcap entry for a
hft-c that they could send me?  All that comes with AIX is a terminfo
entry.

Thanks

Bruce McMillin
Assistant Professor

ff@cs.umr.edu  (ignore the return address in the header of this post.
                it is almost certainly wrong)

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (11/22/89)

In article <367@umrisca.usenet.umr.edu> ff@mcs213k.UUCP (Bruce McMillin) wrote:
>We just recently acquired AIX for PS/2.  The AIX shell within X windows
>insists on making itself into a "hft-c".  The rest of our world here is
>AOS.  Question:  has anybody out there made a termcap entry for a
>hft-c that they could send me?  All that comes with AIX is a terminfo
>entry.

Make a termcap entry that looks like this:

hft|hft-c:tc=ansi:

`ansi' works tolerably well for AIX-PS/2 hft's; I use it every day.

Xterm on AIX/RT provides a VT100 mode which might also be useful if
your systems have it too.

There's more work involved if your AOS machines have 6153 monitors with
no X support, and you want to use them to edit on the PS/2.  You'll have to
find a machine that has captoinfo and compile a terminfo entry based on
the termcap entry from the AOS machine.  System 5 Release 3 machines
have captoinfo.  There's also a public domain version that's not quite
complete, but which produced a usable terminfo entry when I used it for
exactly this application.  I think it's in the comp.sources.unix
archives.

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (11/23/89)

In article <367@umrisca.usenet.umr.edu>, usenet@usenet.umr.edu (usenet) writes:
> We just recently acquired AIX for PS/2.  The AIX shell within X windows
> insists on making itself into a "hft-c".  The rest of our world here is
> AOS.  Question:  has anybody out there made a termcap entry for a
> hft-c that they could send me?  All that comes with AIX is a terminfo
> entry.

If you are talking about aixterm, you can start it up with the -v option
to provide vt100 emulation... At least you can on my RT implementation.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +