[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] X11R4 for RT running 4.3?

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (12/08/89)

Anyone know if IBM is going to port the alpha X11R4 server to the RT
running 4.3 and give it back to MIT in time for the public release?  R4 is
supposed to be much faster than R[23]...

Chet Ramey
--
Chet Ramey
Network Services Group				"Where's my froggie?"

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.191310.4016@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) writes:
>Anyone know if IBM is going to port the alpha X11R4 server to the RT
>running 4.3 and give it back to MIT in time for the public release?  R4 is
>supposed to be much faster than R[23]...

This has been done (by a combination of IBM and MIT/Athena).  I'm
running the R4 server now on my RT.  The X consortium has the code,
and I expect it to be on the R4 tape (including some code that was
previously released only in binary format).

The apa16 is about 50% faster overall; the megapel slightly faster (if
you trust benchmarks...).

    --John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)