[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Sytstem wide .login on RT running AIX 2.2.1

pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) (12/21/89)

Hello,

   Every account on the RT here runs /bin/csh by default.  My problem
is that they do not execute /etc/profile upon login.  I could not find
anything in the manuals relating to a system wide .login (such as
/etc/login), has anyone figured this out?

Paul Linton
--
Paul Linton      UKCC Consultant.                University of Kentucky.
...!ukma!pjl                Lexington, Kentucky.

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/21/89)

In article <13530@s.ms.uky.edu>, pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:
>    Every account on the RT here runs /bin/csh by default.  My problem
> is that they do not execute /etc/profile upon login.  I could not find
> anything in the manuals relating to a system wide .login (such as
> /etc/login), has anyone figured this out?

It is strange that /etc/profile doesn't execute upon login; I'll have
to give it a try this weekend. Anyways, try the /etc/environment file
which is what I use to set global environment variables (I use ksh
though). The "Managing the AIX Operating System Manual" states:

        Before any user logs in to the system, the init process (the
main process starting the system) reads the file /etc/environment. The
init process passes variable assignments made in the /etc/environment
to each process it creates (its child processes). These variables
automatically become part of the list of exported shell variables.

The manual doesn't mention that /etc/profile is not executed when csh
is the default shell though...

                                                Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (12/22/89)

In article <1194@awdprime.UUCP>
@cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron wrote:
>In article <13530@s.ms.uky.edu>, pjl@ms.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:
>>    Every account on the RT here runs /bin/csh by default.  My problem
>> is that they do not execute /etc/profile upon login.

>[T]ry the /etc/environment file
>which is what I use to set global environment variables (I use ksh
>though). The "Managing the AIX Operating System Manual" states:
>
>        Before any user logs in to the system, the init process (the
>main process starting the system) reads the file /etc/environment. The
>init process passes variable assignments made in the /etc/environment
>to each process it creates (its child processes). These variables
>automatically become part of the list of exported shell variables.
>
>The manual doesn't mention that /etc/profile is not executed when csh
>is the default shell though...

The /etc/profile file is used by the Bourne shell and the Korn
shell, and is mentioned in their manual entries.  It is not used
by the C shell, and so is not mentioned in the csh manual entry.

/etc/environment does set up environment variables for use by
whatever shell is forked.  If you want to execute commands by
default, put them into a file called `/etc/login.dflt' or some such
and put the line

source /etc/login.dflt

at the beginning of each user's .login file.  Remember that .cshrc is
interpreted before .login.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish@forel.stanford.edu