[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] WD1005 as 2nd controller in PC/RT

herb@blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) (01/11/90)

[I cross posted this message with comp.sys.ibm.pc in hopes that someone
 in there might know something about this controller...]

I have a PC/RT Model 6150-25 which originally came with 2 40 meg MFM
drives and some non-descript MFM controller.  I've since come into
possession of a 2nd controller and R70 drive from a newer model 6150-25
and want to add the 2nd controller and drive to my present configuration.

The ESDI controller is a WD1005-ARM.

The original controller has jumper blocks for addressing it as the
2nd controller (as stated in the RT documentation), so with the ESDI
controller as #0 and the MFM controller as #1 I can get the system to
recognize hdisk2 as one of the 40's and hdisk0 as the 70, however I lose
one of the 40's.  I figure this is because the RT only recognizes 2
drives on controller 0 and 1 drive on controller 1.

So I figure if I make the MFM controller act as 0 and the ESDI controller
act as 1 then everything should be koshure.

My question therefore is:  Does anyone know how to make a WD1005-ARM
controller act as a second controller?  There's 2 jumper blocks on
the thing and I've tried all combinations.. Presently it's in the machine
with the drive but is not recognized and does not interfere with
anything... I know I can physically cut the trace leading to pin
D6 of the bus-connector and re-route it to pin D7 to make the bus
think it's the second controller, however, is there not also a bus-addr
change needed as well? This I'm not sure about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UUCP: herb@blender.UUCP   ||  ...calgary!xenlink!blender!{herb||root}
ICBM: 51 03 N / 114 05 W  || Apollo Sys_admin, Novatel Communications
"The other day, I...... No wait..... That wasn't me!" <Steven Wright>

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (01/23/90)

In article <91@blender.UUCP>, herb@blender.UUCP (Herb Peyerl) writes:

> My question therefore is:  Does anyone know how to make a WD1005-ARM
> controller act as a second controller?

Assuming your MFM controller is compatable with the ST506, this should work
(I have two RTs set up this way).  The jumper settings shown in the
Setup Guide are correct, but the cabling is shown wrong (at least in my
setup book).  The connectors on the second controller need to be on
J2 and J3 of the wd1005a-arm, not J2 and J4 as shown in the book.

-John

John Bunda                         METRIC Project
Voice: (512) 471-9710              UT Austin CS Dept.
Internet: bunda@cs.utexas.edu      Austin, Texas 78712