[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] RT 6150 Model 125 Won't boot from hard disk

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (02/06/90)

We have six identicallty configured RT 6150 Model 125s that are file serving
for a room full of RT 6152s.  One of the six 6150s will no longer boot from
the hard disk.  When a boot from the hard disk is attempted the two digit
display on the front of the machine will continuously cycle through the
following set of codes: "25 73 20 0c 00 98".  After displaying the "98" is a
pause of about three seconds and then the sequence starts over again.

We have determined that this is some indication that the machine can not
read the boot code off of the hard disk.  So, we replaced the hard drive,
same symptoms.  We replaced the disk adapter, same symptoms.  We even
replaced the system board, same symptoms.  Funny thing is that the machine
can be booted if one uses the SAUTIL floppy. If one tries to use the
"iplsource" utility on the SAUTIL floppy, it reports that the CRC is invalid
in the NVRAM.  So as a last resort we are going to replace the operator
panel (this has the NVRAM on it along with the TOD clock).

Has anyone else seen this behaviour in a 6150 Model 125 before?  What did
you or IBM do to correct it?  Any thoughts, hints, or magic incantations
would be apprecited.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

lusgr@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) (02/08/90)

In article <Cqq$=j2@cs.psu.edu>, ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:
> We have six identicallty configured RT 6150 Model 125s that are file serving
> for a room full of RT 6152s.  One of the six 6150s will no longer boot from
> the hard disk.  When a boot from the hard disk is attempted the two digit
> display on the front of the machine will continuously cycle through the
> following set of codes: "25 73 20 0c 00 98".  After displaying the "98" is a
> pause of about three seconds and then the sequence starts over again.
>
> We have determined that this is some indication that the machine can not
> read the boot code off of the hard disk.  So, we replaced the hard drive,
> Has anyone else seen this behaviour in a 6150 Model 125 before?  What did
> you or IBM do to correct it?  Any thoughts, hints, or magic incantations
> would be apprecited.
>
> --
> Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
> Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176
--

        I had a problem a while ago (1 year?) where I couldn't boot from the
hard drive, but could from the floppy.  I don't remember the codes or other

Steve Roseman
Lehigh University Computing Center
LUSGR@VAX1.CC.Lehigh.EDU

moody@moody..austin.ibm.com (02/08/90)

In article <Cqq$=j2@cs.psu.edu>, ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
> We have determined that this is some indication that the machine can not
> read the boot code off of the hard disk.  So, we replaced the hard drive,
> Has anyone else seen this behaviour in a 6150 Model 125 before?  What did
> you or IBM do to correct it?
> [more stuff deleted]

It sounds like you may have had a hard disk failure.  You should
attempt to re-install the VRM.  The installation program will let you know
if it can't read or write to one of your drives.

James Moody	Adv Workstation Div ; IBM Austin, 2502
		aesnet: moody@moody.austin.ibm.com
		vnet: MOODY at AUSVM6
outside ->	...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!moody.austin.ibm.com!moody

brunner@bullhead.uucp (02/14/90)

Folks, I've already spoken with Dan and the problem is resolved. Somehow a
file other than /boot was in /boot, and as far as the low-level boot loader
was concerned, /boot was "not found" (in the necessary form) on hd0a.

Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu
uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner

In article <4013@ibmpa.UUCP> brunner@ibmsupt.UUCP () writes:
>Folks, I've already spoken with Dan and the problem is resolved. Somehow a
>file other than /boot was in /boot, and as far as the low-level boot loader
>was concerned, /boot was "not found" (in the necessary form) on hd0a.

The LED encoding is described on page 67 of Installing and Operating IBM/4.3
(SMM:1-67).