From: John Greenman <GREENMAN@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: PRISONER OF CONSCIENCE: TIAN QING
Date: Friday, 2 Feb 1990 22:01:04 EST

RECEIVED FROM NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO IN REGARDS TO THEIR CONTINUING
SERIES OF "AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL REPORTS":
PRISONER OF CONSCIENCE: TIAN QING
TIAN QING, deputy director of the Research Institute of Music at the
Chinese Academy of Arts in Beijing, has been held incommunicado in a
Chinese jail for four months because he gave an eyewitness account of
the crackdown on the pro-democracy movement.
   Tian Qing reportedly saw the tanks move against the unarmed students and civ
ilians. He left Beijing on June 4 and later that evening, reported on what he s
aw before an audience at the Shanghai Music Conservatory. Reports are that
Tian Qing was subsequently denounced to police by informers who listened to,
or heard about, his speech that day.
    He was arrested on September 23, 1989 and has apparently been held at a

police station in the west of Beijing. Conditions in police detention centers
are generally reported as being worse than in larger jail facilities. no
formal charges have been filed against Tian Qing, and family members have not
been allowed visitation rights.
   Tian Qing has been described to Amnesty International as a dedicated
pacifist and a Buddhist. A distinguished music historian, he has been actively
involved in the Chinese Musicians Association and the Buddhist Music Society
in Beijing and Hong Kong.
   He was well known at Shanghai Music Conservatory as a lecturer on music and
other topics. The detention of the noted musicologist is considered by
Amnesty International to be a violation of the basic right of peaceful
free speech, and he is considered a prisoner of conscience.
RECOMMENDED ACTION:
      AIR MAIL A LETTER TO (please copy exactly):
       HE JINGZHI DAILI BIZHANG
       WENHUABU
       DONGSI
       BEIJINGSI
       PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
(NOTE: HE JINGZHI IS THE ACTING MINISTER OF CULTURE)
suggested salutation: Your excellency
write a brief letter in which you...
-express concern about the whereabouts of Tian Qing;
-say that he is reported to have been arrested for peacefully
expressing his right of freedom of speech;
-urge his unconditional and immediate release since he has reportedly
been held without charge for over three months
-you may mention Amnesty International in your letter.
PLEASE SEND YOUR LETTER PROMPTLY!
Remember that Amnesty international opposes human rights violations
wherever they occur, but not government or political systems. Letters
SHOULD NOT BE ACCUSATORY. It is better to assume that the authorities
are, in fact, willing to seek a remedy for violations of human rights
if they are properly informed. Be courteous and concise.
Anyone wanting more information about Amnesty International Reports
on radio can call Sarah Spitz at KCRW radio (213-450-5183) The program
is offered free to all National Public Radio stations. Unfortunately,
FAR from all bother to take it!
-John Greenman

webb@bass.tcspa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) (02/14/90)

> Hi everybody,
>              A friend of mine has got hold of a core disk (600M+) and
> was able to successfully format it on a model/60 with a RISC card. Now
> having done that wants to be able to use it to run 4.3 off an RT.
> Now my question is, Can he do that ? If so he want to have a maximum
> utilization of the disk. I wish to solicit input from everybody on the net
> on the pro's and cons on doing this. Also I want to know about any hurdles
> if possible
> C Wu

Assuming that it is an ESDI disk and that it otherwise works properly there
shouldn't have to be any changes needed to run 4.3 on the 6152. All ESDI
disks are treated the same by the standalong utilities and the kernel -
they just have a different number of cylinders. The code already has to deal
with this because the 4.3 partition can be set up with any size that
the user wants.

You should be able to use all of the disk for 4.3 by creating the 4.3
partition to be the entire disk. I used IBM 300MB ESDI disks by just
plugging them in and using them - so long as the disk you have works
from a hardware and BIOS point of view 4.3 should be happy with it.

If it is an ST506 disk then things are a bit more complicated an you will
probably have to add an entry in /etc/disktab for the new disk and may have
more problems in getting BIOS to access all of it.

The above views are my own, not those of my employer.
Bill Webb (IBM AWD Palo Alto), (415) 855-4457.
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmsupt!webb