[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] memory boards

edler@jan.ultra.nyu.edu (Jan Edler) (02/08/90)

Does anyone know of a cheaper source of "fast" RT memory than IBM?
IBM's educational discount price for 8MB is $3668.

Several years ago, back when there were no "fast" RTs, we ordered 8MB
RT memory boards from Tall Tree Systems, and they've worked
flawlessly.  I tried to call them, to see if they have a "fast" board,
but the phone number has been disconnected.

Any ideas?

Jan Edler
NYU Ultracomputer Research Laboratory
edler@nyu.edu
(212) 998-3353

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/09/90)

In article <2073@edith.ultra.nyu.edu> edler@jan.ultra.nyu.edu (Jan Edler) writes:
>Does anyone know of a cheaper source of "fast" RT memory than IBM?
>IBM's educational discount price for 8MB is $3668.

You might check out Clearpoint in Hopkinton, MA.  They generally have very
aggressive memory prices.  I'm running with an 8mb Clearpoint board, but
it was an upgrade, so I'm not sure what their current price is.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

edler@jan.ultra.nyu.edu (Jan Edler) (02/13/90)

Last week I asked if anyone had any leads on alternate sources for
"fast" RT memory boards.  This is what I've learned.

IBM wants $3668 (educational discount) for an 8MB board.

TALL TREE SYSTEMS, in Palo Alto, CA, used to sell RT memory boards,
	but the phone number we have for them has been disconnected.
	Does anyone know what happened to them?

CLEARPOINT, in Hopkinton, MA, sells RT memory, but hold on to your hat,
	their price recently went up to $4995 (ed. discount applied)
	- that's substantially more than IBM!
	Their number is (800) 253-2778.

CAMBEX, also in MA, sells some RT products, including memory.  I think they
	bought the rights for the Clearpoint memory board, which is why
	Clearpoint's price went through the roof (I guess the RT memory
	market isn't too lucrative, so Clearpoint effectively got out).
	Anyway, they don't have an educational discount, and 8MB goes for
	$3500.  A whopping $168 less than IBM, (for educational
	customers)!  Cambex's phone number is (617) 890-6000.

If anyone has additional leads, please let me know.

Jan Edler
edler@nyu.edu
(212) 998-3353

edler@jan.ultra.nyu.edu (Jan Edler) (02/15/90)

In article <2082@edith.ultra.nyu.edu> I wrote
>CAMBEX, also in MA, sells some RT products, including memory.
>	Anyway, they don't have an educational discount, and 8MB goes for
>	$3500.  A whopping $168 less than IBM, (for educational
>	customers)!  Cambex's phone number is (617) 890-6000.

It turns out they do have a 20% educational discount, so that 8MB memory
board can be had for $2800.

Jan Edler
edler@nyu.edu
(212) 998-3353