[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] No "back quote" in lucida fonts?

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (02/17/90)

I am trying to use one of the lucida typewriter fonts and noticed that both
the left signle quote (back quote) and the right single quote seem to return
the same keycode.  Trying to use back-quote substitution in csh fails, which
is how I noticed this to begin with.  The font that I am using is:

	-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-sans-*-120-*

In the BDF file for this font there appear entries for both left and right
single quotes:

From mit/fonts/bdf/100dpi/lutRS12.bdf:

STARTCHAR quoteright
ENCODING 39
SWIDTH 42 0
DWIDTH 10 0
BBX 2 4 4 8
BITMAP
C0
C0
40
C0
ENDCHAR

STARTCHAR quoteleft
ENCODING 96
SWIDTH 42 0
DWIDTH 10 0
BBX 2 4 4 8
BITMAP
C0
80
C0
C0
ENDCHAR

Similar entries are present in mit/fonts/bdf/75dpi/lutRS12.bdf.  But when I
hit the back quote key on my keyboard I get a right quote.

Here are ten characters from hitting the left  single quote: ``````````
Here are ten characters from hitting the right single quote: ''''''''''

My configuration is:

	RT 6152 Academic System
	AOS 4.3 Release 2
	8514/A Display Adapter w/expanded memory
	8514 Display

We used High-C V2.1s to compile the server and clients.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Does anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

In article <Dssx65@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) writes:

Dan> I am trying to use one of the lucida typewriter fonts and noticed that both
Dan> the left signle quote (back quote) and the right single quote seem to return
Dan> the same keycode.  Trying to use back-quote substitution in csh fails, which
Dan> is how I noticed this to begin with.  The font that I am using is:

Dan> 	-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-sans-*-120-*

Never mind.  I was much to quick to jump on this.  Turns out that there
are indeed back-quotes in the lucida font.  It is just that at 12pt on
my 8514 display they look very similar to use showsnf to see the difference.
Still do not know why back-quote substituion was failing though.