[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] 3rd Party Drive in IBM RT

newman@suncis.ycc.yale.edu (Andrew Newman) (02/17/90)

Ok:

Now I've really done it.  I went ahead and got one of those zippy HUGE
EESDI drives that cost hardly anything from CDC.  I intend to put it in
my RT Workstation running ACIS.  The drive I bought is a WREN VI with the
EESDI controller.  Pertinent specs I have are:

		# of Sectors Per Track: 53
		# of heads		15
		# of cylinders		1632

This is a 676 Meg. drive.  Anyway, naturally I can't seem to format the
thing.  I first tried with the ACIS Standalone format program.  That
generates a series of ugly messages about HD ERROR and doesn't even try.
The next step was to try booting the IBM hardware diags.  They don't come
up at all.  Finally I pulled an AIX startup disk (yuck! phew!) and inserted
it.  We got to a step where we were going to format the disk.  The program
asked me for the information listed above and then proceeded to dy with a
similar HD ERROR.  I tried a variety of combinations of values.  All to
no avail.  The question is:

	1) Has anyone used this disk in an RT under EITHER AIX or ACIS?
	(the drive is CDC part number 94196-766)

	2) Does anyone have any generic advice for me?

				-Andy  Newman

ANKGC@CUNYVM (Anil Khullar) (02/17/90)

In article <91.25dc43cf@venus.ycc.yale.edu>, newman@suncis.ycc.yale.edu (Andrew
Newman) says:

>Ok:
[...]
>similar HD ERROR.  I tried a variety of combinations of values.  All to
>no avail.  The question is:
>
>        1) Has anyone used this disk in an RT under EITHER AIX or ACIS?
>        (the drive is CDC part number 94196-766)
>
>        2) Does anyone have any generic advice for me?

Two weeks ago I swapped a 310 M drive from a PS/80, then moved in
a drive from COre (600+ M) and had same results. Then some guy
at IBM who I knew found out that it was not possible. You cannot
hang it of the extended ESDI and Core Tech Rep said that their drives
did not work off RT's. That is the end of the story as far as I was
concerned. The two drives are lying on my shelf waiting to be put
to another machine (when time permits...)

   anil
>                                -Andy  Newman

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (02/17/90)

In article <91.25dc43cf@venus.ycc.yale.edu> newman@suncis.ycc.yale.edu (Andrew Newman) writes:

Andrew> Now I've really done it.  I went ahead and got one of those zippy HUGE
Andrew> EESDI drives that cost hardly anything from CDC.  I intend to put it in
Andrew> my RT Workstation running ACIS.  The drive I bought is a WREN VI with the
Andrew> EESDI controller.  Pertinent specs I have are:

Andrew> 		# of Sectors Per Track: 53
Andrew> 		# of heads		15
Andrew> 		# of cylinders		1632

Andrew> This is a 676 Meg. drive.  Anyway, naturally I can't seem to format the
Andrew> thing.  I first tried with the ACIS Standalone format program.  That
Andrew> generates a series of ugly messages about HD ERROR and doesn't even try.
Andrew> The next step was to try booting the IBM hardware diags.  They don't come
Andrew> up at all.  Finally I pulled an AIX startup disk (yuck! phew!) and inserted
Andrew> it.  We got to a step where we were going to format the disk.  The program
Andrew> asked me for the information listed above and then proceeded to dy with a
Andrew> similar HD ERROR.  I tried a variety of combinations of values.  All to
Andrew> no avail.  The question is:

Andrew> 	1) Has anyone used this disk in an RT under EITHER AIX or ACIS?
Andrew> 	(the drive is CDC part number 94196-766)

Andrew> 	2) Does anyone have any generic advice for me?

Check the data transfer rate for the drive.  The EESDI controller for the RT
will handle drives with a transfer rate of 15MHz.  If memory serves the CDC
drive is 20MHz.  If the drive is 15MHz please let me know as we are looking
for ways to upgrade our disk storage too.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) (02/26/90)

ewman) writes:
>Ok:
>
>Now I've really done it.  I went ahead and got one of those zippy HUGE
>EESDI drives that cost hardly anything from CDC.  I intend to put it in
>my RT Workstation running ACIS.  The drive I bought is a WREN VI with the
>EESDI controller.  Pertinent specs I have are:
>
>               # of Sectors Per Track: 53
>               # of heads              15
>               # of cylinders          1632

The problem is that the Wren VI ESDI is a 15 Mhz drive.  The EESDI card
only supports up to 10 Mhz.

Wren V's are (to the best of my knowledge) the biggest ESDI disks that
the EESDI card supports (442 MB unformatted).  If you want bigger
disks, get the Adaptek SCSI controller (around $300) and you can
use Wren VI SCSI or Wren VII SCSI.  There is a public domain driver
for the Adaptek SCSI adapter.  The (Seagate/Imprimis/CDC) Wren VI is
766 MB and the Wren VII is 1.2 GB (unformatted).

Note:  This driver only exists for 4.3 BSD/AOS.  No AIX support.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |