[net.micro] InfoWorld

murlocker@water.UUCP (murlocker) (01/23/85)

Hey, I haven't seen an issue of Infoworld since Xmas...
Does anyone know what's going on?  My dealer says he keeps ordering them, but
the distributor said they were cut off, or something.  I called Infoworld
and they assured me they were still publishing, and that the first two
issues in january were to be combined into a double issue.

Reply by mail...thanks
						mark

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (01/24/85)

> Hey, I haven't seen an issue of Infoworld since Xmas...
> Does anyone know what's going on?

I have a subscription to Infoworld and it keeps coming albeit irregularly
(presumably due to the local post office putting aside the magazines so
they can get the junk mail out first).

I have noticed that Infoworld is getting smaller month by month.  I personnally
find the magazine considerably less interesting than back in its newspaper
format days, and have been thinking about cancelling as I suspect many others
have.  Or it may be just a lack of advertisers forcing smaller issues.

It seems the format (page layout, type face) is constantly changing also. The
new owners appear to be placing more attention on form than substance.  Too
bad, another rag bytes the dust!

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (01/29/85)

In article <ssc-bee.280> eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:

>I have noticed that Infoworld is getting smaller month by month.  I personnally
>find the magazine considerably less interesting than back in its newspaper
>format days, and have been thinking about cancelling as I suspect many others
>have.  Or it may be just a lack of advertisers forcing smaller issues.

The problem, Mike, is that they don't want us anymore.  I started my
InfoWorld subscription many moons ago (remember Minny Floppy?) because
of a solicitation from them that asked questions like "Were you the
first one on your block to own a calculator?" the upshot of which was
to say "We are a resource *AND ENTERTAINMENT* for the techno-tinkerer."
I was wildly happy with what I got as well, until...

How can I put this?  Until IBM turned microcomputing into a business.
In the intervening years InfoWorld has become just plain boring and
stuffy.  All the fun is gone.  A similar affliction has beset Byte.
I, like you, am seriously considering letting my InfoWorld subscription
lapse.  Byte is not far behind.

One ironic note which has given me much pleasure is that InfoWorld
started offering a baseball jersey with the InfoWorld logo about the
time it went glossy.  Clearly the editorial target is John Q.
Middlemanager.  Can you see John Q. in an InfoWorld jersey hanging out
at the local hackers' union hall?

Anyway, Mike, I suspect that InfoWorld is doing just fine and will
continue to do so without us.  A recent editorial said as much. But,
golly, it is a shame.

<< The views expressed are my own and are thus indistinguishable from >>
<<                          absolute truth.                           >>

George W. Sherouse
<decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!sherouse>

calway@ecsvax.UUCP (James Calloway) (01/31/85)

I may be in the minority on InfoWorld, but I think the magazine has improved
greatly since the days of its tabloid format. True, it tries to be more
"serious" than in the past, but in the process its journalistic standards
have risen. The tabloid passed off re-written press releases as reporting
(I know, because I get the same press releases.), but now the magazine has
consistently solid reporting. The features still tend to be weak unless
they are tied to a specific news event, and that may explain why the magazine
seems more boring than before, since large features get more play than they
used to.

I'm not a managerial type, but I read InfoWorld (and Byte) for professional
reasons, and that obviously influences my opinion of both magazines.
I don't know whether I would read either magazine just for fun.

--

James  Calloway
The News and Observer

John Shaver STEEP-TM-AC 879-7602 <jshaver@APG-3> (02/01/85)

You have identified one of the reasons that Nibble is doing so well.
They continue to provide new games and amazingly new utilities.
Recently they gave a activity profiler for Applesoft.  No one else is
doing that with any regularity.

John

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/03/85)

In article <130@unc.UUCP> sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) writes:

>I, like you, am seriously considering letting my InfoWorld subscription
>lapse.  Byte is not far behind.

  That's exactly what I did. Neither magazine is worth the time it takes to
read it. What does it take for a magazine to be interesting these days?
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

starr@shell.UUCP (Bob Starr) (02/05/85)

Well, even with the "problems" with the AT hard disk, a *professional*
magazine does not give 3 stars to the Coleco Adam, and two to the PC/AT.

jww@bonnie.UUCP (Joel West) (02/06/85)

James Calway (calway@ecsvax.UUCP) of the Raleigh News & Observer wrote:

>I may be in the minority on InfoWorld, but I think the magazine has improved
>greatly since the days of its tabloid format. True, it tries to be more
>"serious" than in the past, but in the process its journalistic standards
>have risen. The tabloid passed off re-written press releases as reporting
>(I know, because I get the same press releases.), but now the magazine has
>consistently solid reporting....

I don't know the previous incarnation very well but I'm inclined to agree.
Making the transition from a small-town newspaper reporter (where ethics
are usually understood by young reporters but not publishers) back into
computers I was shocked to discover how few computer magazines have even
considered the concept of "journalistic ethics".

It seems to me that with the possible exception of Byte, most magazines seem
to consider that being in bed with major vendors is just loads of fun and
makes the magazine BETTER!!!! Try to get a mag to say anything bad about
anybody.

Although Infoworld seems the best of the computer newsweeklies, I still
find the reporting to be at or below the par for my former employer
(a 6,000-circulation daily in suburban San Diego).  I don't know if this
is because they hire hackers rather than trained reporters, or because
of organization pressure that causes sloppiness, or what.  But at least
it's nice to see someone trying to REPORT what's going on, instead of
speculating, editorializing, blithering, etc, etc......
being in bed
--
	Joel West
	CACI, Inc. - Federal 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct La Jolla 92037

apratt@iuvax.UUCP (02/07/85)

In an earlier response, ecla-cs!ekrell writes...
> ... What does it take for a magazine to be interesting these days?

I suggest that to answer that, you might look at Dr. Dobb's Journal (of Computer
Orthodontia and Calesthenics). That is a magazine with a fairly well-defined,
yet fluid audience: users of CP/M, with SIGs in FORTH, ZCPR, and other
interesting things as they develop. For those people, DDJ is EXTREMELY
interesting, and contributes greatly to their enjoyment of their micros.

----
						-- Allan Pratt
					...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!apratt

BRAIL%SEISMO@RU-BLUE.UUCP (02/10/85)

	Let me clear up two points:
	1) A magazine should be unbiased, but not in the case of
product reviews.
	2) InfoWorld is generally unbiased, except in the case of
product reviews. They have said some negative things about products.
Ex: They pretty much panned WordStar 2000, and only gave the IBM PC-AT
two stars (or whatever it is they give).

	You're right about the ethics. A magazine should try to
protect its readers from defective (or dangerous, but most software
isn't dangerous) products. At the same time, it should present the
facts in an unbiased manner. InfoWorld, for the most part, does this.
It also provides the latest gossip, which is usually about as accurate
as gossip gets, except maybe for the Apple //X rumor. It provides a
news service; you won't find any juicy hacker info, but you will find
news: something lacking in most mags.

			ARPA: BRAIL@RU-BLUE.ARPA
			UUCP:...ihnp4!ut-sally!topaz
						    !ru-blue!brail