[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Adaptec SCSI driver available

bernerus@utcrt2.utc.chalmers.se (Christer Bernerus) (03/01/90)

Many of you try to connect 3:rd party disks to the RT, many seems to
have trouble.
There seems to be a rumor seeping out that there is a PD SCSI driver available,
and, in fact the rumor is true. We started using RT's for AFS file servers two
years ago. When our disk space ran out we didn't want to buy more IBM
9332's so we
someone bought a pile of Maxtor XT4380S's for me. They just happened to be
single-ended SCSI and not diffrential as IBM's adapter was. Also,
someone bought
a SCSI streamer tape. The same week that Adaptec salesperson went by and .....

The driver can be ftp'd from wasp.ctp.se.ibm.com. Look in pub/ibm43/scsi.tar.Z.

The driver also contains that tape driver (at least useful for backing
up things)
If you use it, please let me know (via mail)

Chris.

----------------
Christer Bernerus (SM6FBQ)			! E-mail:
Univerity Technology Center for Andrew (UTC)	! bernerus@utc.chalmers.se
Chalmers University of Technology
S-412 96 Gothenburg  SWEDEN

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/01/90)

Let me just add that Christer's Adaptec driver is *the* answer
for anyone who needs more disk space.  I'm running a Newbury Data 4380S (300mb)
and a Wren VI (600+ mb) off the Adaptec controller.  Works like
a charm.

High capacity SCSI disks are cheap and seem to be getting cheaper
by the week.  I purchased the Wren VI last week from Arrow Electronics
for $2300.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (03/02/90)

In article <725@vice2utc.chalmers.se> bernerus@utcrt2.utc.chalmers.se (Christer Bernerus) writes:

Chris> Many of you try to connect 3:rd party disks to the RT, many seems to
Chris> have trouble.
Chris> There seems to be a rumor seeping out that there is a PD SCSI driver available,
Chris> and, in fact the rumor is true. We started using RT's for AFS file servers two
Chris> years ago. When our disk space ran out we didn't want to buy more IBM
Chris> 9332's so we
Chris> someone bought a pile of Maxtor XT4380S's for me. They just happened to be
Chris> single-ended SCSI and not diffrential as IBM's adapter was. Also,
Chris> someone bought
Chris> a SCSI streamer tape. The same week that Adaptec salesperson went by and .....

Chris> The driver can be ftp'd from wasp.ctp.se.ibm.com. Look in pub/ibm43/scsi.tar.Z.

Sounds good to me, but I get `unkown host' when I try to FTP to
wasp.ctp.se.ibm.com.  Does anyone have the IP address for this host?  Or is
there another FTP location for this driver?

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (03/02/90)

Let me just "third" the note about the SCSI driver; it works great.
Just think, if you take the flopper out of a floor model, you could
run with 1x Wren V (ESDI) and 3x Wren VII (SCSI) giving 4Gb
unformatted.

Oh, Wren VIIs work just fine as do Wren VIs.
--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

esj@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (03/02/90)

=
[...]

There is now. This handy little package is now available from
bikini.cis.ufl.edu in the directory ibm-rt-fixes.

Ej

jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jay Ford) (03/06/90)

In article <1880@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> Let me just add that Christer's Adaptec driver is *the* answer
> for anyone who needs more disk space.  I'm running a Newbury Data
4380S (300mb)
> and a Wren VI (600+ mb) off the Adaptec controller.  Works like
> a charm.
>
> High capacity SCSI disks are cheap and seem to be getting cheaper
> by the week.  I purchased the Wren VI last week from Arrow Electronics
> for $2300.

Could somebody send me an address for Adaptec?  They aren't in any phone book
around here, not even the AT&T 800 directory.

Also, are the Wren drives internal (in the RT disk bays) or external (separate
cabinet)?  Is it necessary to retain at least one ESDI-type drive for booting?

I have some pending calls for info on Wren & HP drives, but in case they don't
pan out I'd appreciate some info on the various drives: capacity (formatted),
speed (seek, transfer rate, etc), etc.  Comments on service arrangements would
also be appreciated: cost, responsiveness, turn-around time, etc.

Jay Ford,  Weeg Computing Center,  University of Iowa,  Iowa City,  IA  52242
jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu  or  jnfordpb@uiamvs.bitnet,  319-335-5555

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (03/07/90)

In article <795@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jay Ford) writes:

>Could somebody send me an address for Adaptec?  They aren't in any phone book
>around here, not even the AT&T 800 directory.

From tha back of the docu-book which adaptec supplies:
691 South milpitas blvd.
milpitas, ca 95035
(408) 945-8600

>Also, are the Wren drives internal (in the RT disk bays) or external (separate
>cabinet)?  Is it necessary to retain at least one ESDI-type drive for booting?

Yes, the Wren SCSI disks are internal (they are standard form factor).
Yes, you need one esdi disk to boot and swap from. Although it should
be possible to swap from a scsi disk, it isn't working at the moment.

>I have some pending calls for info on Wren & HP drives, but in case they don't
>pan out I'd appreciate some info on the various drives: capacity (formatted),
>speed (seek, transfer rate, etc), etc.  Comments on service arrangements would
>also be appreciated: cost, responsiveness, turn-around time, etc.

The Wren VII formats to ->
/dev/xt0d     786186       4  707562     0%    /mnt4
/dev/xt0a     193865   78381   96097    45%    /mnt3
             =980051 M
The Wren VI formats to about 600M as I recall. As for speed, the Wren
VI gets slightly better throughput than the Wren VII, but the Wren VII
does much better than ESDI disks. There is also a Wren V SCSI, as I
recall it is in the range of 450M formatted, but I may be wrong.

For example, I have observed about 400k/sec read performance with a
Wren V running off of a (HESDI I think). The last time I looked, I was
getting about 800k/sec read performance from a Wren VII.

HP has announced a 1.6G disk which supposedly has a 150000 MTBF rate
and a five year warranty, but they aren't being delivered yet.
Seagate/Imprimis is also talking about bigger and better disks (the
Wren VIII)

Bill

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william
"Every man has his weakness." Pause. "Mine," added Doc, "is bestiality
and Baskin-Robbins girls."
		The Monkey Wrench Gang - Edward Abbey