[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] AIX/RT network socket SO_KEEPALIVE setting

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton [ext 237]) (03/13/90)

The original release of TCP/IP for AIX/RT 2.2.1 had the socket
option SO_KEEPALIVE set so that connections that don't have any
activity for ~2 minutes or so get dropped. Trying to develop a
DOS client using the Sun PC-NFS DOS socket library is impossible
because their code does not support the keepalive socket option.
I have used other DOS TCP/IP vendors' code like Excelan and
FTP who implement SO_KEEPALIVE and it works fine...

Does anyone know if:

	1) There is a way to disable keepalive in the kernel
	   driver or some sort of ifconfig(1m) type command?

	2) IBM issued any PTF's for this issue? I looked thru
	   the latest APAR listing that was posted here but
	   didn't see anything...

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com

garnett@a.cs.okstate.edu (John Garnett) (03/15/90)

In article <1036@applix.UUCP> jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton [ext 237]) writes:
>The original release of TCP/IP for AIX/RT 2.2.1 had the socket
>option SO_KEEPALIVE set so that connections that don't have any
>activity for ~2 minutes or so get dropped.
>
>Does anyone know if:
>
>	2) IBM issued any PTF's for this issue? I looked thru
>	   the latest APAR listing that was posted here but
>	   didn't see anything...

The later versions of AIX TCP/IP allows one to specify a flag to
the telnetd daemon in /etc/inetd.conf that will disable the
keepalive behavior.  I'm not sure what PTF introduced this fix.
I realize that this doesn't help if you aren't using telnet,
but it might give you a lead to another solution.

John Garnett                           Computing and Information Sciences
                                       Oklahoma State University
Email: garnett@a.cs.okstate.edu        Stillwater, Oklahoma