[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] X11R4 for IBM AOS

jqj@rt-jqj.Stanford.EDU (JQ Johnson) (03/21/90)

Has anyone in netland successfully applied the IBM patch V1.32 for AOS (4.3bsd)
to allow use of an 8514 display with the X11R4 server?  When I tried it, I had
numerous problems.  First, many lines in the distribution (I ftped a copy from
bikini.cs.ufl.edu) were split into two or more lines, resulting in compiler
errors.  Second, the directions for installation (e.g. the mods needed to
ibm.cf)
were unclear.  Third, the file server/ddx/ibm/ibm8514/ibm8514.c was apparently
missing.  Can anyone report better luck?

JQ Johnson                              voice: 415-723-3078
Manager, Special Projects               Internet: jqj@jessica.stanford.edu
Networking and Communications Systems
Pine Hall Rm 125-A
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4122

mlewis@dolphin.tcspa.ibm.com (Mark S. Lewis) (03/21/90)

> From: jqj@rt-jqj.Stanford.EDU (JQ Johnson)
> Subject: X11R4 for IBM AOS
>
> Has anyone in netland successfully applied the IBM patch V1.32 for AOS
(4.3bsd)
> to allow use of an 8514 display with the X11R4 server?  When I tried
it, I had
> numerous problems.  First, many lines in the distribution (I ftped a
copy from
> bikini.cs.ufl.edu) were split into two or more lines, resulting in compiler
> errors.  Second, the directions for installation (e.g. the mods needed to
> ibm.cf)
> were unclear.  Third, the file server/ddx/ibm/ibm8514/ibm8514.c was
apparently
> missing.  Can anyone report better luck?

Firstly, it is not clear to me why lines would be split with ftp.  Perhaps
the source files on bikini.c.ufl.edu are incorrect.  You may want to check it,
or find another source.  Mail or call me if you have a problem.

I did forget to tell everyone to turn on inclusion of the ibm8514 driver
in ../mit/config/ibm.cf.  The patch to include 8514 and vga, plus set the
compiler version correctly is included below.

	cd ../mit/config
	patch < this_file

Lastly, there is no ibm8514.c.  ibm8514.o is created by loading all the
objects.

=====-----     Mark S. Lewis, IBM AWD Palo Alto    -----======
inet: mlewis%ibmsupt@uunet.uu.net		(415) 855-4489
uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!mlewis              IBM Tie Line: 465-4489

*** ibm.cf	Tue Mar 20 14:28:47 1990
--- ibm.cf.new	Tue Mar 20 15:31:48 1990
***************
*** 68,80 ****
   *              .../server/ddx/ibm/common/Makefile
   * Also, be sure to remove .../server/ddx/ibm/common/ibmscreen.o
   */
! #define ibmInclude8514  NO /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeAED   YES
  #define ibmIncludeAPA16 YES
  #define ibmIncludeAPA8c NO
  #define ibmIncludeEGA   NO /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeMPEL  YES
! #define ibmIncludeVGA   NO /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeGEN   NO
  #endif /* RtArchitecture */

--- 68,80 ----
   *              .../server/ddx/ibm/common/Makefile
   * Also, be sure to remove .../server/ddx/ibm/common/ibmscreen.o
   */
! #define ibmInclude8514  YES /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeAED   YES
  #define ibmIncludeAPA16 YES
  #define ibmIncludeAPA8c NO
  #define ibmIncludeEGA   NO /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeMPEL  YES
! #define ibmIncludeVGA   YES /* YES */
  #define ibmIncludeGEN   NO
  #endif /* RtArchitecture */

***************
*** 174,180 ****
   * '_Alloca' at load time.
   */

! #define	HCRevision	21004

  /*
   * hc revision 1.4r won't compile parts of Xt and some clients.
--- 174,181 ----
   * '_Alloca' at load time.
   */

! 			/* hc 2.1y */
! #define	HCRevision	21025

  /*
   * hc revision 1.4r won't compile parts of Xt and some clients.