[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Non-IBM drives for RT PC

nrt@nrtpc.UUCP (Nicholas R. Trio) (04/07/90)

In article <17750002@acf4.NYU.EDU> manaris@acf4.NYU.EDU (Greg Manaris) writes:
>As to how to make them work I cannot say due to legal
>reasons that IBM has over me(THEY HAVE MY BRAIN FOR 7 YEARS!!!!).
>
>--Greg Manaris

They have your brain for 7 years?  Um, the only things I'm not allowed to
discuss are those things classified by IBM (like unannounced products or
proprietary things).  I am free, though, to talk about many things, even
relating to IBM and AIX.  For instance, I could talk about which FSF things
we've ported to the various AIX platforms.  I could talk about compatability
issues.

Also (and this may be contrary to the stereotype), I can freely give my
opinion on anything IBMish (like what I don't like about various AIXes),
again, as long as it is not classified (and is clearly stated as my own
opinion).  In fact, many IBMers (including myself) have stated positions
critical of IBM here on Usenet and in public.

Yes, there are Wren V's running in RT's (I have one in my home machine).
I don't know what was done to make it work as far as formatting it, but
it seems to run just fine.

Sure, I have some problems with working for IBM, just like any company
I'd work for.  But they don't "own" me in any respect.  I'm sure Greg
means well, but I think he might be overstating the case a bit.

--
Nicholas R. Trio, WB3COR         Home: uunet!bywater!scifi!nrtpc!nrt
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center  Work: nrt@ibm.com (ARPA/Internet)

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (04/08/90)

The Wren V ESDI disk works fine in a BSD RT; the Wren VI ESDI will not
work.

Steve is right, buy the Adaptec and a SCSI disk (I know Wren VIs and
VIIs work with it). Also, with a little bit of effort you can attach
an Exabyte to back everything up.

Bill Moran

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william