[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] NeXTStep/Printer with RS/6000.

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/31/90)

Hi,

What do you think about the possiblility of using a NeXT laser printer
with IBM RS/6000 when the NeXTStep interface is available for RS/6000
as promised by IBM?   This means the RS/6000 should have the PostScript
interpreter in its system software.   Do you think this picture correct?

	Hugh

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (06/01/90)

In article <74000001@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> What do you think about the possiblility of using a NeXT laser printer
> with IBM RS/6000 when the NeXTStep interface is available for RS/6000
> as promised by IBM?   This means the RS/6000 should have the PostScript
> interpreter in its system software.   Do you think this picture correct?

The NeXT printer is a dumb engine that communicates with the NeXT
Cube via a proprietary interface.  The RS6000 would need to have an
interface card that supported the NeXT protocols, which to my understanding
are simply a high speed interface similar to that used by LaserMaster
to communicate with a dumb Canon engine.

IMHO there are better solutions.  Having the processing engine on the
printer saves the CPU the blitting chores that otherwise consume considerable
resource.  A NeXT can't outrun a snail while it is printing.  Offload that
tedium and keep your GUI snappy, I say.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #  Black holes are how God divides by zero.  #

erik@tvcent.uucp (Eirk Peterson) (06/02/90)

In article <74000001@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi,
>
>What do you think about the possiblility of using a NeXT laser printer
>with IBM RS/6000 when the NeXTStep interface is available for RS/6000
>as promised by IBM?   This means the RS/6000 should have the PostScript
>interpreter in its system software.   Do you think this picture correct?
>
>	Hugh

I know that the AIXwindows and the NeXTStep environments include display
postscript.  I don't know if is will support postscript printing on non-
postscript printers.

Erik Petersen
Canadian Vertical Systems