[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] sendmail configuration

lawhorn@optigfx.uucp (Jeff Lawhorn) (06/28/90)

I am in need of some assistance in configuring sendmail on an IBM
RT running AIX 2.2.1.  (Please don't bother with RTFM, I do not
have a full set, although references to the correct sections
would be usefull for future reference.)  What I need is some way
to tell it to send mail to another domain via uucp.  Currently it
will bounce any mail addressed to any domain other than the local
domain, or the uucp domain.  Is there anyway to tell sendmail to
another host to resolve unknown domain addresses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Should government be as large as possible to get the job done,
or as small as possible and still get the job done?

Jeff Lawhorn                    optigfx!lawhorn@berick.uucp
lawhorn@optigfx.com             ucsd!sdsu!berick!optigfx!lawhorn

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (06/29/90)

In article <LAWHORN.90Jun27104936@optigfx.uucp> lawhorn@optisun20.optigfx.com writes:
>I am in need of some assistance in configuring sendmail on an IBM
>RT running AIX 2.2.1.  (Please don't bother with RTFM, I do not
>have a full set, although references to the correct sections
>would be usefull for future reference.)  What I need is some way
>to tell it to send mail to another domain via uucp.  Currently it
>will bounce any mail addressed to any domain other than the local
>domain, or the uucp domain.  Is there anyway to tell sendmail to
>another host to resolve unknown domain addresses?

This is fairly simple to do. First off you need to define what is called the
relay host:

#define the host to foward unresolved addresses to
DRsmarthost

#define the mailer used to send to the relay host
DMuucp

Next you will need the rule(s) in ruleset 0 to utilize these macros. I am
not sure if the RT cf file has anything like this by default, if not it
will require that you somewhat understand the flow of the rules and insert
the new rule at the right point. This is an example from turnkey's cf:

#fully qualified names that are not part of our domain are sent
#to the smarthost for resolution  -jackv
R$*<@$+>$*	$#$M$@$R$:$1<@$2>$3	user@host.notourdomain

If it helps, this is the second to last rule in 0 for me, the last rule
faulting to local delivery. Anything in your domain should have been
handled prior to getting to this rule, there are fancier or more specific
ways the rule could be formulated but provided the whole ruleset is set
up correctly this will work for you.

Hope this helps, email if you have further questions!

Disclaimer: These opinions are mine, not my employer's

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -