[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Moving data from RS 6000 to RT 125 via tape.

brad@mead.UUCP (Brad Craig) (06/28/90)

Hello RS users!  Are we having fun yet?

Here is my problem:

    I'm trying to write write some data to a tape from an RS 6000, and
then read the tape on an RT 125.  The RS is running with the 9021
build of version 3.  The RT is running version 2.2.1.  SO far I have
not been able to read any tape on the RT that was created on the RS.
I have attempted everything from dd to backup.  I have used the '-o'
flag with the backup command, just as it is stated in the manual page.
I also set the ECC flag to disable for the tape device (instructions
form IBM), using smit.

    When I use 'dd' I get a message of "0+0 records in ...".  When I
use tar I get "0 blocks on tape".  When I use backup, and attempt to
restore the tape, I get "Tape not in backup format".  When I use cpio,
it just gets lost.  I have tried combinations of tar, cpio, backup
piped to dd, still no succes.

     I am using an RT 125 with a high-density tape drive.  (don't know
the model right off hand, but it is an IBM drive)

    Has anybody out there done this?  I've contacted IBM AIX support
for the RS, but they haven't given me any solutions that have worked.

Thanks in advance.

Brad Craig           "Look at the                       (513) 865-1536
Mead Data Central       size of those              Interactive Systems
P.O. Box 933              winches!"             mead!brad@uccba.uc.edu
Dayton, Ohio  45401        Dave Letterman          ...!uccba!mead!brad

dme@doc.ic.ac.uk (Dave Edmondson) (06/28/90)

In article <807@meaddata.mead.UUCP> brad@mead.UUCP (Brad Craig) writes:
brad> [... trouble writing tapes ...]

this is from memory - so may be wrong (!).
the rs/6000 can read/write qic150, and can read qic24.  the rt will
(almost certainly) not read qic150.  i talked to someone at ibm about
this quite a while ago and the answer was `they are expected to be on
a network'.  if this is the case, then you can move stuff from rt to
rs/6000, but not the other way.
	anyone from ibm (or elsewhere) care to correct me here ?

dave.

--
                            Dave Edmondson
Department of Computing, Imperial College, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 1BZ UK

cs3631bs@hydra.unm.edu (Peter Blemel) (06/28/90)

1.) Your RT must have the -002 tape drive to read the QIK-150 (sp?) format of
    the RS/6000.

2.) Use /dev/rmt?.4 to write on the RS/6000.

Peter Blemel

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun28.081131.9099@ariel.unm.edu> cs3631bs@hydra.unm.edu (Peter Blemel) writes:
>2.) Use /dev/rmt?.4 to write on the RS/6000.

Unless the SCSI address on your tape drive is different. ;-)
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

                                            Proud Pilot of RS/6000 Serial #1472

rob@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Rob McDonald) (07/01/90)

In article <807@meaddata.mead.UUCP> brad@mead.UUCP (Brad Craig) writes:

> ...I'm trying to write write some data to a tape from an RS 6000, and
>then read the tape on an RT 125...

My understanding from discussions with IBM was that the RS6000 could
read but not write a tape for the RT.

...rob
--
EMAIL:   rob@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca  <<< Standard Disclaimers Apply >>>
ARCHAIC: Steltech, 1375 Kerns Rd., Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7P 3H8.

ken@kdillman.austin.ibm.com (Ken Dillman) (07/03/90)

In article <807@meaddata.mead.UUCP> brad@mead.UUCP (Brad Craig) writes:
>    I'm trying to write write some data to a tape from an RS 6000, and
>then read the tape on an RT 125.  The RS is running with the 9021
>build of version 3.  The RT is running version 2.2.1.  SO far I have
>not been able to read any tape on the RT that was created on the RS.
>I have attempted everything from dd to backup.  I have used the '-o'
>flag with the backup command, just as it is stated in the manual page.
>I also set the ECC flag to disable for the tape device (instructions
>form IBM), using smit.
>
>     I am using an RT 125 with a high-density tape drive.  (don't know
>the model right off hand, but it is an IBM drive)

Brad, place a hardware service call for the tape drive and specifiy that
you require the hardware EC that allows tape interchange with the RT
(specifically EC 844345).  I'm assuming you have a loaner machine from
the AIX Porting Center.  These machines require a hardware upgrade.

The other steps you've done are also required (no ECC, -o on backup).

Hope this helps.
Ken Dillman           | 11400 Burnet Road | Phone: T/L 678-4804 or
AIX Technical Support | Austin, TX  78754 |            512/838-4804
ZIP 2830              |                   | VNET/PROFS: KDILLMAN at AUSTIN