[comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt] Hooking up an IBM 3812 pageprinter to a 6150 RT

hugo@.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) (08/03/90)

Has anyone successfully hooked up an IBM 3812
pageprinter to an IBM RT 6150?  I have the
special cable which hooks up to the RS232C
DB-25 port on the printer to the 10 pin DMA
RS232 serial port on the back of the RT.
I've created the device, and information does
get output through the cable when I cat into
/dev/lp0, but I can't make the pageprinter
print anything.

I have a large file that IBM supplied for
printing from an IBM PC, and when I cat it
into /dev/lp0, information gets sent through
the cable for about a minute, and then I get
my prompt back, but nothing comes out of the
printer.  I have a Synchronous Modem
Eliminator that I can stick on the cable,
which causes the "online" light, as well as
the "ready" light, on the pageprinter to
light up.  However, cating a file into
/dev/lp0 with the SME hooked up causes a
"/dev/lp0: No such device or address"
message to come up after a few seconds.

I know the printer works, because the test
printing functions work.  The cable works,
also.  Does anyone know what might be wrong?
Do I need a new disk for the 3812?

Thanks,
-Hugo

--

  Hugo Calendar    ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!hugo
  215 Weeks Avenue         hugo@ucscb.ucsc.edu

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (08/03/90)

In article <5667@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@.ucsc.edu (Hugo Calendar) writes:

>Has anyone successfully hooked up an IBM 3812
>pageprinter to an IBM RT 6150?  I have the
>special cable which hooks up to the RS232C
>DB-25 port on the printer to the 10 pin DMA
>RS232 serial port on the back of the RT.
>I've created the device, and information does
>get output through the cable when I cat into
>/dev/lp0, but I can't make the pageprinter
>print anything.

    Use the 'devices' command to configure the port as a printer port.
    Select 'printer' from the list of device types, and take it from
    there.  You have to select the type of printer and type of
    connection (rs232, rs422, parallel, whatever).  There are several
    more screens of options that don't have much to do with
    work/don't work issues.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000